Stupidly Fast DX Test -ATI Radeon 9800 issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMDxp, Sep 17, 2005.

1. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Hey peeps, not been on for a while but I wondered if anyone could shed some light on a small but annoying issue.

Catalyst 5.7 (currently downloading 5.8 to try)
    DX 9.0c Final
    Windows XP Home - all updates installed inc SP2

Issue is -
    A few weeks ago i tried some software that uses direct 3D to draw a stage and disco lighting using its parent program Elation Compu 2004 (software which allows you to input various DMX controlled lighting into the program and controll it with this software ) the Direct 3D application 'mimics' what the lights would be doing in real time if they were connected to the software, which is cool, well WAS untill it crashed with the usual "has caused an error and needs to close" so i uninstalled it and thought nothing of it... that is untill now.. I recently reinstalled it to try it again, this time it seems to be sluggish and slow and pauses for stupid amounts of time, tempting you to push the RESET button on the pc. so i looked at my display settings, everything is set exactly the way it was before, including hardware acceleration (which seems to have no effect on it) and write combining. so i tried DXDiag, and that says everyting is ok, UNTILL you try the Direct 3D tests ( you know the one with the spinning logo cube) , you have to laugh because the cube is just a blur, it is spinning ridiculously way to fast to be seen properly in all 3 tests (dx7, dx8, dx9)
    So I wondered if anyone could throw in some reasons why it mite be doing this? the GPU is NOT being overclocked or any other part of my system for that matter and i was wondering if something has been corrupted in the DX library responsible for Direct 3D ??
    3D games still work fine (C&C Generals in full graphics mode and Medieval Lords in full graphics mode) but these two things are doing the opposite of each other ( 3D Render of real time lighting(way to slow and sluggish) and DX Tests (way too FAST and STUPID!) what gives ?? please Help ME!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

now .. I don't know if this would work, but I doubt it would harm. There are tools that uninstall directx9, might try reinstalling it? that or using some registry fixing tools they sometimes fix weird issues.

3. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Thanks, I tried a reg fixer and installed the new catalyst 5.8 and all is well again YAY !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds