Sudden leap to 100% CPU usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sammo, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Sammo

Sammo Private E-2

I have a strange query. I have recently installed a CD-R/RW drive LG GCE-8526B with Nero ^ and InCD 4. Everything seems to be working fine, the rewritable disks do what they're supposed to, I have put all my photographs onto CD and my computer appears to be working as fast as it ever did before the installation. I have Win98, AMD K6-2 cpu 189Mb ram.
    I had a small "refrigerator" programme called amnrefrig which used to show between 0-25% cpu usage, this now shows 100% usage even when the computer is "idle", the only additional programme seemed to be incd, so I uninstalled that bit it made no difference(so I re-insatlled it!)
    the foolwing programmes run in the background (if that's the correct expression):
    kernel32.dll; msgrv32.exe; vsmon.exe; mprexe.exe; mmtask.tsk; explorer.exe; rnaapp.exe; tapisrv.exe; systray.exe; em_exec.exe; avgctrl.exe; stimon.exe; realsched.exe; zclient.exe; incd.exe; matask.exe; msinfo32.exe
    The only new one is incd, but see above.
    Any ideas on what's happened?
    many thanks
    Sammo

2. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Are you good with computers? Not to sound rude, but I don't really know what to say here. I want to ask if you've run Task Manager to see, but that sounds funny to ask. :confused: I'm no pro, so if you are, just tell me where to go. :D

3. Sammo

Sammo Private E-2

Thanks RayDunne,

If I was any good with computers, I wouldn't be in this forum, trying to find a solution to my problem! Win98 doesn't have task manager, it's just got alt+ctrl+del, which I ran and stopped all processes, i also have a fast defrag which allows"kill process" which I have done, still the cpu shows 100%. I have been to the support sites of both the hardware and software manufacturers, neither of which has deigned to reply. As I said, the computer seems to be working fine, but I'm worried about frying my cpu.
    Maybe I should just pack the computer back in its box and take it to the supplier :)

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

This link will show you how to perform a clean boot,this will start your computer with only the essential programs running to use your computer,once done it will make it faster and free it up for the programs you want to use,its not as complicated as it looks theres alot of writing to explain it so anyone can do,then check your cpu usage,ifs its still high you will then have to start checking for viruses,trojans and spyware.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192926/EN-US/ :D

5. Sammo

Sammo Private E-2

Thank you rikki, I shall try that today and let you know how I get on

regards

Sammo

6. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Private E-2

Sammo u may have spyware or a virus on ure system.Try a few spyware removal progs.Ad-Aware+SpyBot maybe a couple of others(dont forget to update before running them).

7. Sammo

Sammo Private E-2

Thanks for the advice, the first thing I did was scan, with ad-aware,spybot snd(both updated 8thMar) I have latest Zone Alarm version, antivir9 and spyware blaster. i also have the latest windows update. I learnt of all these programmes and downloaded them from MG, I follow advice given in the spyware forum so up till now, my system has remained clean. I don't go to "dodgy" sites on the web and I'm on dial-up access so I feel pretty secure that my problem is not a virus, worm dialler etc.

Once again thanks for your reply. any other suggestions?

Regards

Sammo

8. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

I've had a similar problem. Press ctr+alt+del (all at the same time) to bring up the task manager. You may have to wait a long time. Click the Processes tab and look to see which program is consuming the CPU. Normally it is System Idle Process. If it is spoolsv.exe then go here. If it is something else then google that plus "virus" and you should be able to find a solution. Good luck, that virus (which it most def is) is mad annoying.

9. Sammo

Sammo Private E-2

Hallo there,

I did as you said, alt+ctrl+del, but I don't get task manager, I get "close program" (remember, I'm on win98). the followin are listed: Explorer; Zclient; Cmmon32; incd; em_exec; stimon; systray; avgctrl; rnaapp; realplay:
    there's nothing to show cpu usage individually. What next?
    many thanks
    regards
    Sammo

10. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

did follow the guide i linked you to on microsoft sammo?

11. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

Sorry, I forgot you were on Win98. I don't recall how to get into task manager from 98 but there must be some sort of help/support function on the start menu where you can search for "task manager". Let me know

12. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

Hmmm. I'm not sure that the problem that I had can be caused in Win98. Do you have Nero or more specifically InCD installed? There is a known conflict with 98 and InCD that will cause your computer to have those symptoms.

13. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

This is not an uncommon behavior for Windows 4 (Win9x). There are numerous memory leaks and coding problems that can cause CPU to spike to 100%. The fact that you're running Nero 6 + InCD on Windows 4 (which is designed for Windows 5 -- 2k/XP/2k3) is part of the problem.

Download, unzip, and run the Win98 version of Process Explorer. See what process is being difficult.

14. Sammo

Sammo Private E-2

Gentlemen, (Rikki, Phrederick and Da Chicken)

Thank you so much for your time and suggestions. rikki, yes I did follow the link you gave me, it made no difference. Da Chicken, I have this very moment downloaded the process explorer, I shall install it and let you know how I got on. Incicentally, the nero/incd and optical drive are all working perfectly!

Best regards

Sammo

15. Sammo

Sammo Private E-2

Hello again,

I have installed process explorer, with the following results:

System Idle process 88% CPU

CPU usage 12%, so there's the 100%!

What is system idle function? I inderstand the individual words, but what does it do? do I need it?

thanks in advance

Sammo

16. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

If you want to understand System Idle Process try this link. Glad to see everything is working again... you should get XP :) .

17. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Phredrick If you want to understand System Idle Process try this link. Glad to see everything is working again... you should get XP .

I couldn't get this link to work?

18. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

sheesh... nuf of that; i'm starting to get tired people telling others to "google" it. even though the internet is a wealth of info, it may be hard for people to sift through it all if there is an easier alternative. that's what we're here for, right??

anyway, the system idle process (which is just a little program that repeatedly sends an algorithm to the cpu to keep it running, like how we breathe when we aren't talking) for windows 98 is very inefficient. although it will keep the cpu temperature down, it will also keep the temperature up. you can download cpuidle (if you can find it) to fix that problem as for the 12%, what processes are built up to sum up to 12%? maybe some speed issues are lying in there. or maybe the refrigerator program just went kaplut when you installed nero.

19. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

My point is that it is easier to type "system idle process" in a google toolbar than it is to post the question "what is system idle process". Its easier by six characters, eight if you want to count the two spaces. As far as "sifting" through the information on the net, well in this case it is reading a few headers... four to be exact before coming across a perfectly fine explanation of it. I meant no offense and the same thing has been done to me before; its about promoting research skills as opposed to asking questions that have already been answered many many times. It was a silly question unless, of course, this is one of those forums where the admins don't care if members ask redundant questions.

20. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, the point Strogg is making is: If you aren't going to contribute, don't post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds