Sudden loss of keyboard and mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lawmanxxx, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Private E-2

After running a clean-up utility on my older computer (700mhz Celeron) I rebooted and when Windows opened I had absolutely no use of my keyboard and mouse. The mouse is a Microsoft Optical and the keyboard is a Compaq. The mouse connects to the keyboard through a USB port, then the keyboard to the tower through another USB. I have tried connecting through one of the other USB ports, rebooting several times, and have even tried using a serial port adapter with no results. It simply will not recognize any USB hardware. The computer reboots normally but without any input device I can't start up in Safe Mode or even reformat the hard drive, for that matter.
    Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

2. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Which version of Windows?
    You may have lost the USB driver. Check Device Manager.

3. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

how is he going to check that with no keyboard or mouse? lol

ok what u need to do is get a keyboard and/or mouse that doesn't use usb and hook that up, then do what he said and try running windows update, quite possible you removed your USB driver if you removed stuff with that program, so try that

4. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Private E-2

Well... In frustration I booted up again and plugged everything in as it was before and it worked. Go figure! The only thing that I did not mention in my original post was that I was cleaning up after installing Windows Service Pack 2. It's possible that there were a few bugs at work!!!
    Anyway, Thanx to both of you for responding to my post.
    -Lawmanxxx

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]__________________
    [/font]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds