sudden power outing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nalesk, Feb 9, 2011.

1. nalesk

nalesk Private E-2

I just had a laptop issue on my Lenovo X61s.
    This laptop suddenly powered off while playing a game (StarCraft2), twice within an hour, in the heat of the game (AND I WAS WINNING GRRRR).
    lol
    Avast doesnt seem to have found anything odd so I can only guess that the fairly recent game makes my old pc work hard even though all settings are on "low quality" (grfx, sounds etc). Could that be a safety procedure to prevent overheating of the cores?

here's about the laptop :
    intel core duo L7500 1.60 GHz
    2 Gb ram
    win xp pro, sp3

cheers

Alx:wave

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Sounds like thermal protection kicked in to me. The only other thing that comes to mind is your graphics driver. Have you updated to the current version?

3. zencyl

zencyl Private E-2

Yeah i agree, sounds like its overheating and shutting itself down. Try propping up the back and getting some air moved underneath it, that could get it to where you can keep playing when she heats up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds