Sudden Slow Opening Of Certain Pic Folders

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kloppstock, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Kloppstock

Kloppstock Private E-2

Reinstalled windows xp yesterday and have noticed that for the first time i experience a slowdown when viewing certain harddrive folders, with certain i can see that these 3 folders happend to be filled with a pretty hughe amount of adult pictures :wave :drool

It can take up to almost 1 minute it feels to open up thoose folders now compared to 0.1 sec before, and windows is reading as hell during this period before it release the hangup, it will crash if i try to close explorer during that time

what have i done different this time with the new windows installation? nothing what i can recall

what i can see is that the opening of this 3 folders is getting faster if i train it over and over again, klicking back and forward in rows once it have opened for the first slowest time, but still it isnt fasst enough to live with, and to bad that this method isnt good in the long run, cause it resets this "getting used to folder" behavior as soon as i restart the computer

The chipset is installed, not the cd version thou, an updated one like allways, cant have chosen wrong this time accually, used the intel identification utility
    ..and wouldnt it be dangerous to test go backwards in version allso?

One idea i have got now is that i saw before christmas that one of the
    harddrives hade for fun? started to compress alot of the content inside the subfolders in one of the pic folders that acts slow
    you know right klick on folder/advanced=and the files go blue text

the only problem is that these 3 overall slow pic folders are spreaded across 3 different harddrives, and its only one of them that have been compressed like this, and the other ones goes as slow uncompressed, so it kind of take out the power of this solution isnt it? unless the drivers can get affected by eatchothers possible compression..just beacuse thei are all pics! :yum

i have now tested to reinstall the mouse and Irfan view, but it isnt helping,

all i have done different is that i have installed a flat computer screen after christmas along with reinstallation of windows 3 times in row (for other reasons) last time i checked this folders whas 12 december, and thei opened fast :major
    what have happend here? can i do anything to prevent me from reinstalling windows again?

i still have my 2 Gb of ram

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

WAG ~ is that if you have your folders of images set to thumbnail view that the thumbs image cache is taking a while to populate, depending on amount of images in folder.

If you do have thumbnails view set change this to icons and see if the folders open quicker?

Is your newly installed XP upto date with service packs?
    Graphics card driver upto date?

3. Kloppstock

Kloppstock Private E-2

the folders is allways auto setted by windows to thumbs yes, i have probably 1000 subfolders on that slow folder so its impossibly to change them one by one, and that have never been problem in the history either when thei are thumbs, the main folder i use to sett to "list" directley thou

i tested now to cutt out some subfolders and move to a completley outsider folder..but it took the problem with it to its new destination :zzz

i allso tested to move away the videos from the slow folder, and thei opened fasst at its new location, so its clearley the pics that is the problem...

but one confusion i have that disturbes this pic theory is one none pic folder, the folder with my installed program allso opens slower than usual, so its this 3 pic folders and one of my program folders that is affected, nothing else on my 4 harddrives, my other program directory opens fasst :confused

i have service pack 3 yes, and latest nvidia driver

4. DavidGP

Hi

Check this in Device Manager and in the HD Controller and turn/untick DMA off and click Ok then repeat and turn/tick back on and OK.

5. Kloppstock

Kloppstock Private E-2

I have 2 primary and 2 secondary devices, i switched them all to PIO on their both "unit 1" and "unit 2"
    i didnt reboot thou, i just whent back to DMA direct, but i cant see any change unfortentley

today i have allso opened the computer and re-attached varios power cables just for safety, didnt help, allso installed an updated sata driver from windows update, didnt help :(

6. Kloppstock

Kloppstock Private E-2

Its not the subfolders with the pictures that opens slow, no matter what view i give them the subfolders opens normal speed, the only problem is the delay in the main folder

tested to create a new main folder for the subfolders, then i took only 1 of the pic subfolder and dropped it there, and the folder opened fasst, then i took some moore and it still performed well..but somewhere over 10 subfolder it start to get slower and slower to open the main folder, hardely noteable with the eye, but after systematic research i could confirm that its something about the numbers here.
    My "program files" folder (allso over 10 subfolders) opens slow to, and its no pics inside it!
    then i looked at another folder with various videos, allso over 10 subfolders..but that opens fasst,

im not getting any grip of this! what is this mockery?

7. DavidGP

Hi

Have you defragged the drives yet?

Check Virtual Memory Settings, set it to 1.5x the amount of ram you have installed and see if that improves anything.

8. Kloppstock

Kloppstock Private E-2

Are you talking about the page file settings here?

if so i was surpriced to see that my previous manualy setted value for C:\ whas still there! even thou i have formatted the harddrive and reinstalled xp:confused
    anyhow i changed to let windows decide the size (=2047)
    cause that 1.5 x my ram i can't calculate myself :wave all i know is that i have 2 Gb ram and 5 pretty hughe drivers (i cant do the math)
    setting it to windows decide didnt help thoose folder atleast...

i have defraged my drives during the night, seems like that didnt do anything for the folders

9. Kloppstock

Kloppstock Private E-2

Its clearley now that it isnt the amount of subfolders i have
    its the total folder size that windows think shall be an issue on a very low level

if i add just one pic folder over 1 Gb, that can on its own slow down the opening a bit, certain of thoose pic folders in that size seem to opens fast solo however :confused

If i put 6 X200 mb subfolders it goes slower for eatch one added, indicating clearley that 1 Gb totaly is dangerous stuff

if you accept to just have one or two 200 mb subolder it will open fasst however, still my research says that this only concerns pics, casue i have gamefiles over 10 GB without slowdown

alternate windows having issues with the amount of pics in the same folder, cause biggest folders often happend to contain most files

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds