Suddenly Cannot Log Into Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Franco50, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Franco50

Franco50 Private E-2

Hoping someone can help. A problem showed up today that hasn't been an issue before. After I enter my Winows 7 password I am taken to the 'Welcome' screen as normal but that is as far as I get and the little wheel icon just keeps spinning for ever more.
    The problem doesn't show up in 'Safe Mode' and I can use that mode fine.
    Two things that may or may not have been an issue here but the problem only appeared after the following -
    • My Kaspersky Internet Security was due for renewal so I paid for the update and downloaded and kicked off the new installation file. Part of the installation required a reboot of the PC.
    • After the reboot I was able to login to Win 7 at that point but when the desktop appeared a message immediately came up saying that the Firewall (I'm assuming it was the Win 7 Firewall but didn't pay full attention) detected a program it didn't like - EEventmanager.exe, which transpires is an Event Manager program for my Epson XP750 printer/scanner. I have had this printer for nearly 6 months and this firewall message has never appeared before. As I don't use that facility anyway I unchecked the box, telling the firewall to ignore it. At that point I got the spinning status wheel which wouldn't stop and I couldn't even open Task Manager so I restarted the PC in safe mode via the power button. Thinking it was the Epson Event Manager program causing the problem I uninstalled it in Control Panel. I rebooted again and now I get the spinning wheel as soon as I enter my Win 7 password and it won't progress beyond that point.
    I had considered uninstalling Kaspersky to see what effect that might have but thought I'd better seek some help here first.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go into msconfig and disable all start ups. Reboot and see if you can log in.

3. Franco50

Franco50 Private E-2

Tim W - that worked! Is it now just a case of re-establishing the start ups one at a time to find the offending one?

4. TimW

Yes....you can reenable two at a time until you find the culpret.

5. Franco50

Franco50 Private E-2

Many thanks Tim W. I took the opportunity to keep some of the programs in the list deactivated as I have never used them and things are now working fine.

6. TimW

You should not use msconfig to control start ups.
    You may wish to use:

Startup_CPL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds