suddenly lost an application; plus, can't download anything

Discussion in 'Software' started by BobLewiston, May 16, 2014.

1. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

My brother's computer suddenly lost all traces of one of his installed applications. Not only is it no longer installed, but the executables and associated folders have all vanished, even when searched for with a file recovery utility.

Also (and I don' think this is a coincidence), suddenly he can no longer download ANYTHING, although he can receive email via Outlook.

We ran a security software scan, and no malware was found.

I'm mystified. Any ideas?

He's running Windows 7 and Mozilla Firefox.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Personally from what you have described I would run the below and then start a new thread in our malware forum and attach the results as it seems from your description malware related.

Then if given the all clear from our malware team, revisit this thread but also tell us what Service Pack Windows 7 is at as well as installed security software.

3. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

Hi DavidGP -

Step 4 of MajorGeeks' Malware Removal Guide says to disable any disk emulation software.

I don't know anything about disk emulation software, but I can tell you this:

My brother was running the now mysteriously disappeared program (FloorPlan 3D) under Windows XP Professional, since FloorPlan 3D is an old program that won't run under his OS, Windows 7. In order to make that work, he ran Windows XP on a virtual machine created by Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager (version 4.2.14). Therefore, Windows XP appears to be running on virtual drive Z.

Is VirtualBox disk emulation software? If so, I'll disable it with DeFogger.

Incidentally, since DeFogger runs under both Windows XP and Windows 7, it can run in both 32-bit and 64-bit environments, right?

My brother's Windows 7 has Service Pack 1.

His current security software is StopZilla AVM 2013 (product version: 6.0.0.0, file version 6.0.3.61), and of course Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

Since StopZilla and Defender are both installed on my brother's machine, I guess one of them will have to temporarily go away. I'm pretty sure both of them allow real-time protection to be disabled, but that's not sufficient; I'll have to actually uninstall StopZilla, right?

Full scans done by both StopZilla and Defender found no threat.

Thanks for your help.

4. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

Hi DavidGP -

My mistake, I didn't realize that Windows 7 could run on a 32-bit machine as well as a 64-bit machine. My brother's machine is a 64-bit, though (AMD Athlon II X4 640).

BTW, my brother's edition of Windows 7 is Professional.

5. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

I was able to put Defogger on the desktpo and keep it there by disabling real time protection in StopZilla.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds