Suggestions For Upgrading My PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cahill666, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Cahill666

Cahill666 Private E-2

I have been away from the PC market for about 2 and a half years or so. I am not update on the technology and what's good and what's not. So I am looking for suggestions on what to upgrade in my PC. I built my PC in the summer of 2004 with these specs.

Abit AV8 Socket 939 Mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    nVidia 6800GT (which has died)
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    160GB Seagate Hard Drive

Since my video card died I bought a very low end graphics card. A nVidia 6200 just so I would still be able to use my PC everyday. Well since it's the holiday season, I am looking to upgrade and maybe be able to get some Christmas time deals on hardware. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

is the video card PCI-E or AGP? if pci-e, a 7900GS is a great deal

also, you should be able to upgrade your processor really cheaply. find the highest processor that board can handle and grab it, 939s are really cheap nowadays

3. Cahill666

Cahill666 Private E-2

the slot is AGP

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

a 6800GS is one of the better cards you can get for AGP, the 7800GS being at the top of the list. They recently came out with a 7600GT for AGP, that would be a good choice too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds