Super Antispyware free edition running in background.

Discussion in 'Software' started by RobsanX, Nov 18, 2011.

1. RobsanX

RobsanX Private E-2

I use Super Antispyware free version for periodic scans, but only Pro version does continuous scanning.

So why does the free version run all the time with an icon in the taskbar? Is it important?

2. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Its just a running program in an idle state. It isn't important. Unless you want to check for updates, configure, or run the scanner, just right click the icon, and left click exit. :wave

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

RobsanX, do you mean it reflects in quick launch? May have been an option during install.
    As StruldBrug, mentioned it's idle. Set "SAS Core Service" to manual from Services and it will not show up and still function as it should. For some reason, SAS's service is by default set to auto, even for the free version.
    Cheers

4. RobsanX

RobsanX Private E-2

No, it is actually running in the background. I see it in the Task Manager process list too.

I guess it's nice to have a reminder to update/run it from time to time.

Thanks!

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Numerous programs will want to "start when Windows starts", the problem is if you allow all of these programs to do this you start having a very slow PC because the resources (RAM and CPU) are being consumed "by non-essential" processes and services.

Personally I like my applications to start "when I want them to" and to undertake that specific task for a "defined time" that I want.

It is not essential for SAS to be running at start up but it will have the update manager running.

If you follow a good regime and update your security software on a regular basis (I do weekly) then the "start up" options can be deselected, this is applicable for many other applications as well, for example any adobe products.

Simply go into preferences of the application and deselect the Start at windows start tick box.

Attached Files:

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Yes it will show in TM. No CPU usage. Set the service to manual and it will not list in TM.
    Cheers..

Edit to add: Ooops, Sorry Bold Eagle.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

All good.....;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds