Superfetch??? Turn It Off Or On

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-469e6fb48c, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

SuperFetch is part of Windows' memory manager; a less capable version, called PreFetcher, is included in Windows XP. SuperFetch tries to make sure often-accessed data can be read from the fast RAM instead of the slow hard drive.

It's so called making it access faster i think is total BS.

From what i understand from a lot of others it accesses the info slower now.It does not make it any faster.I find that on windows 10 is seems to make the operating system faster with out it.

All of my stuff seems to loads faster with out SuperFetch.Especially any of my games that i play and on top of that there seems to be no lag since this has been disabled.

I think with SD cards most people disable this any way.

What is your thoughts on this.

I did see a slight improvement with it off in Services.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's just Prefetch. It's been around for years. There are many people on threads all over the net saying it's great and some saying it's not. Every system and what runs on it is unique which is why some things affect system speed unconnected to Prefetch.
    I've never seen any problems on Vista,7,8 or 10 that would make me turn it off.

3. Anon-469e6fb48c

I am trying to Dig further into windows 10.

Yes it has been around since Windows Xp.But as far as i know the only OS i find that make's it work really well is Windows 7.In any other operating system i turned it off.It seemed to make it lag and make it worse for the system.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Recent discussions on the net around Superfetch relate to SSD boot drives and not traditional hard drives. In Win 7 and 8 Superfetch is automatically disabled on SSDs. In Win 10 that is supposed to happen once the OS recognises that the boot drive is a SSD.
    I suppose for some people who have lags that, technically, they can actually isolate directly to Superfetch with a SSD boot drive, then troubleshooting by disabling Superfetch is worth it. But that's a very narrow area.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

When testing with W7x64 on this rig, there was zero difference seen in anything, real world usage or benchmarks, between SuperFetch on and completely disabled.

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think the real test with prefetch is long term. The reason for this is that prefetch keeps long term data. That means that running without it will become more impactful over time. I don't like running without it as performance seems grindy to me...

7. satrow

As was the case with ReadyBoost, I suspect that once your hardware reaches a certain level, improvements become very difficult to measure.

My hardware:

Specs.jpg

8. Anon-469e6fb48c

Some people claim that Ready Boost works in conjunction with Super Fetch.But i have tried this and it seems to degrade even more with the Ready Boost.

Every computer system is different speed,ram,cpu,hdd or ssd.

I think with APU cpu every thing is different than a normal cpu.Be cause a APU processor all so helps run video as well.

9. Anon-469e6fb48c

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD A10-8700P
    Carrizo 28nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @800MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    HP 80B0 (P0) 92 °F
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
    MLT1921 (1440x900@60Hz)
    512MB ATI AMD Radeon R6 Graphics (HP) 105 °F
    Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 JPVX-11JC3T0 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 97 °F
    29GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device (USB)
    Optical Drives
    hp DVDRW SU208GB SATA CdRom Device
    Audio
    AMD High Definition Audio Device

10. satrow

That WD's a 2.5" and no SSD?

If so, I'd expect a boot time improvement from Superfetch's ReadyBoot component. Program start times would still be difficult to quantify, some might start a little quicker, others would be too tight to call.

11. Anon-469e6fb48c

I know i had to replace the drive that came with the laptop.For some odd reason the laptop hard drive crashed and it was new.

12. satrow

W10's Fast Start hybrid hibernate/restore session feature would probably negate your chances of seeing any difference in boot time between Superfetch on/off. You'd need to disable that for a few weeks to test properly.

13. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've got an AMD A8 7410 APU with Radeon R5 graphics on one laptop and an Intel T9550 C2D with nVidia Quadro NVS 160M dedicated graphics in my other laptop. The C2D is noticeably faster in all aspects. Both have Samsung 850 EVO SSDs and both multiboot. I have not touched Superfetch.

14. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

My experience was that Superfetch was never automatically Disabled by either Windows 7 64bit or Windows 10 64bit. Both were installed on a SSD. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a clean newly created partition, and Superfetch was Enabled.

One of the problems I had with Windows 10 was that keyboard shortcuts for applications activated very slowly. I never had this problem with Windows 7 and had never even heard of such a problem, although some users have reported it with Windows 7.

The solution, for me at least and some others as well, was to Disable Superfetch. Once that was done, shortcuts worked properly with Windows 10.

I think I found that solution here:

Custom keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

=

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds