Suppressing Balloon Notifications in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Obi_Jahn, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Obi_Jahn

Obi_Jahn Private E-2

About every 10 minutes, I get a balloon notification from Windoze XP Pro telling me that my 'puter is connected to the Net. (Well, duh!) Anyone know how to stop these fool things?

TIA

2. Obi_Jahn

Obi_Jahn Private E-2

Oopsi! Here's the exact notification that pops up:

"Wireless Network connection is now connected"

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Sounds to me that you need to move closer to the wireless router or move it closer to you.

4. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

There is a registry hack that will do this if you're comfortable with that. To undo this, should you wish to, delete the key you are creating here.

Go to Start > Run
    Type in "regedit" without quotes
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > Advanced
    In the advanced directory, create a new value (right click, and click "new").
    Make the value a DWORD Value, and make the name "EnableBalloonTips".
    Make the value data "0".

Note: This will turn off ALL balloon tips...

5. Obi_Jahn

Obi_Jahn Private E-2

D'oh! I went and solved the problem and completely forgot about this thread. :( Sorry about that. From somewhere, I got a little app called "Baltips.vbs". All I have to do is run it and it toggles the balloon tips on or off.

(BTW, the problem really didn't have anything to do with my distance from the router. IIRC, I had WiFi turned off. It's just one of those irritating Windows things.)

Thanks to all for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds