surround sound suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IROC_DIS, Aug 4, 2005.

1. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Private E-2

hooray for alliteration:cool: !

on topic: i have a set of fairly old creative labs 5.1 speakers. just a guess, but theyre probably in the neighborhood of...4 years old maybe? recently i've noticed theres a good bit of static and just "noise" when theyre turned on, both at low and higher levels. to me, this just sounds like theyre getting old, maybe arent blown, but are probably worn out. so i'm in the market for something to replace them. the system probably needs to be 5.1, i'm not sure if/how a 4.1 or 6.1 system would hook into the back of my ~2 year old audigy gamer card. with my current system, it has the orangish pink, green, and black cables that go from the subwoofer to the card.

i was thinking something from logitech. i know klipsch is usually the best money can buy, but i dont really want to shell out $500 for computer speakers. i could get a home theater system thats a ton better for that much. tentatively, i was thinking about maybe the logitech 5500, 640, or 540 systems. but i'm open to more suggestions:)

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Logitech is a good brand...however...you're not going to get the performance you would out of Bose either!! From my own experience with audio equipment...performance is directly relative to the dollar, for the most part!!!!

I'm assuming the current set of speakers has a subwoofer that plugs into the system...then all the smaller speakers branch off of the subwoofer!!?? Have you tried makeing sure all of the speakers (subwoofer specifically, since it is what houses the amplifier) are a fair distance from the monitor, tower, surge protector...any kind of electronic device that you think could possibly cause feedback!!!???

Roger

3. GeForce

GeForce Private E-2

The Logitech Z-5500 speakers are awesome. Ive heard them and one of my friends has them. Much Much better than my logitech Z-640. If you can afford the logitech Z-5500 then you wont be disapointed. The sub on the 5500s is about the same size as my 19" CRT monitor. Klipsch has a 5.1 Promedia ULTRA set, A little bit more expensive then the 5500s but not much. Ive heard the klipsch set as well and i must say it is right up there with the logitech Z-5500, Seems to me like the klipsch's satelite speakers are a little bit better than logitechs, but the sub isnt as nice. Its a personal preference. Oh and you should check www.dell.com they have some awesome deals from time to time, Ive seen the logitech 5500s for 229 with free shipping on there. www.newegg.com is nice too.

4. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Private E-2

sub is probably 2 feet from surge protector, 2 feet from tower, 4 feet from monitor. the front satellites are pretty close to the monitor, im not sure where else they are supposed to go.

w00t! today was my last day at my summer job, and they gave me a $200 cash award for a going away present. soooo its looking like it might be the z5500's. we'll have to see

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds