Suspect Programs in System Info?

Discussion in 'Software' started by elevation, Jul 11, 2007.

1. elevation

elevation Private E-2

Hi guys,

So this is my first post, so I hope Im posting to the right area.

Recently I had the Virtumondo virus which I managed to clear up.

Since then Ive been keeping an eye on things & I noticed some start up progs beginning \??\ as per attachment.

I googled & came up with the following, tmcomm.sys belongs to Trend Micro & is used with a suite of AV products. Its recomended to upgrade this version 1.5.0.1052 with an update to the Rootkit Common Module & v 1.600-1052 due to security concerns. More info,

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1034432&id=EN-1034432

However, I dont & never have as I recall had any Trend Micro products on my PC, so why/how is it I have this - Virus related I wonder????

I use Webroot Spysweeper & AV 2007 scheduled scans as my protection & I have Spy Doctor & Adaware SE Personal which I use as an adhoc online scanner ocassionally.

Can tmcomm.sys be removed & if so what is the procedure to do so?

Regarding Symevent, I removed the Symantec AV bundle I got free with the PC in favour of McAfee & managed to remove all but one component, LiveUpdate. I have stopped & disabled this in Services. Should I be concerned about this further?

DSproct, pgfilter & PfModNT belong to Dell, Peer Guardian & Creative which are all components of my PC, however should I be concerned about them due to the \??\ prefix in the description?

Lastly, having installed Spysweeper last week, I notice that in the Shields Tab, Start Up Items Tab, Start Up Items, the first item in the list has a box ticked & reads "(No Title)"
    There is no further info available on this start up item so it could be anything??? Is there anything I can do to investigate this further please?

Apologies if this is all a bit mundane, but Im a little concerned with what is on my PC following my first Virus experience & Im not entirely 'clued up' in this regard!!

Any help, assistance, advice etc... will be gratefully recieved. :cool

(Im using XP Home 2002 SP2)

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Firstly,BIG WELCOME on MG.:wave:D

Go to malware section.Chaslang will help you there.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Trend Micro are makers of malware products. Do you have any of these installed?
    [SIZE=-1]PC-Cillin 2007
    [/SIZE]CWShredder
    Trend Micro Hijack This
    That's just a couple of their products.
    More here:
    http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/personal/

4. elevation

elevation Private E-2

Thanks for the welcome & the advice Goran, will do. :wave

I assume I should duplicate my entire post, in the Malware forum, yes?

All the best

5. elevation

elevation Private E-2

erm........Ok so you spotted the deliberate mistake, I do have Hijack This installed, although I had downloaded it through Merijin.org so hadnt associated the TrendMicro link! :eek:

Thanks for putting me straight Musksnipe, appreciated ;)

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

;)No prob. If you suspect that malware MAY be on your PC, it would be a good idea to follow Goran.P's suggestion. But start here and follow all the insructions before posting in the Malware forum.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Re-reading your first post, I noticed the Symantec question. Missed it the first time through.rolleyes Have you tried un-installing the Live Update while in safe mode? And as far as AV goes, you can find some good apps at the following link.
    I don't know if McAfee is a resource hog but if it IS slowing your PC down, try one of these others. AVG is a good one.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20#viruses

Edit:
    I also noticed this
    Is that AV 2007 a full fledged AV program? If it is you, should only run AV app at a time.

8. elevation

elevation Private E-2

Thanks I'll try your suggestion removing LiveUpdate in safe mode & get back to you

Re McAfee, Ive uninstalled this completely, wasnt to happy with it as I kept getting alerts that either the firewall was disabled and/or Real Time Anti Virus was disabled. I felt it was compromising my PC.
    So I opted this week to install PC Guard firewall (has good reports) provided free through my broadband Virgin/NTL SP & purchased Webroot Spysweeper with Antivirus. See,

http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/spysweeperwithantivirus/?id=H2-HHO_Links-SSAV

Ive only been running Spysweeper for under a week but so far its been impressive in as much that it has identified & quarantined stuff missed by McAfee (when it was installed) & the following progs below.
    I read up on the Webroot Spysweeper sales blurb but checked other sources too, one of which was on here, so I hope Ive made the correct choice in opting ofr this software.

I have Spy Doctor (until subscription expires, not too impressed with it) & Adaware SE Personal Free (often picks up stuff other antivirus progs had missed) which I use as an adhoc online scanner ocassionally as an extra safeguard in case they pick up anything missed, they are not scheduled to run, only Spysweeper is, to clarify are you suggesting that they shouldnt be used at all even on an adhoc basis, if so I'll get rid.

I think/hope the combi of PC Guard firewall & Spysweeper are working well, no conflicts so far, but will keep an eye on them.

Does this help clarify my current software position?

Cheers M

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds