Suspicious files in Task Manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by joni13, Apr 25, 2013.

1. joni13

joni13 Private E-2

In Task Manager I have a file, rundll32.exe, that has four instances in task manager. When I right click the file will not Open File Location nor will it list a user name, description, or command line.

I have read http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=242262 and have also tried http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...is-it-running/
    When I tried the last link it did not work as said on my Windows 7 HP Pavilion (dv6) as Just Playin said it would.

My laptop has gotten soooooo extremely slow I know something has hijacked or using it without permission :confused Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!:cry I am familiar with navigating Windows so if you don't have time to give me all of the directions if you can point me in the correct direction I will figure it out if I don't know exactly where.... Please ANY HELP :-o

Thanks!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you suspect malware, head over to here and go through the "READ AND RUN ME FIRST" Sticky. If malware is detected during this process, post a new thread there according to the instructions given.

3. Tides

Tides Private E-2

You can also kill the process, not the SYSTEM's one and see what happens.

If it comes back after a restart or a period of time it sounds as malware.

If an application is crashes then you have found the guilty.

If Windows crashes post back.

But, first of all run a malware detector.

4. joni13

joni13 Private E-2

Tides, thank you for your response, yet, if Windows crashes doesn't sound like a risk I want to take :(. Are there not any other options to figure out what these are?
    mdonah, I am about to try your suggestion. I will let y'all know if this finds anything or not.

Thanks to you both!!! :)

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds