Swap Graphics Cards Computer to Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Campiano, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Campiano

Campiano Private E-2

Is it difficult to install a graphics card into a laptop..
    i want to swap my graphics cards into from my low performance cpu
    into my high performance laptop

2. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Private E-2

You mean you want to put your graphics card from your DESK TOP PC into you LAPTOP?If thats what you mean its not possible.

3. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

as above, laptop and desktop parts are not interchangable.

I'm not even sure that you can change the graphics card in a laptop but i could well be wrong, im not that clued up on them.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You can change them out, but usually only for the same one if yours isn't functioning. I have a choice between two types of cards...both of which I have to buy from Dell (or if I can find it on ebay)

Call who ever your manufacturer is and find out what's compatible with your laptop. Or go to their website and see if you can figure it out.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I saw the title of this thread and just had to check it out to make sure I wasn't seeing things.... as everyone has stated: It is totally IMPOSSIBLE to take a graphics card from a tower and install it in a laptop. In fact, it is impossible to take a graphics card from any PC, tower or laptop, (unless it's the exact same make and model) and put it in a laptop. Even if it is the same make and model, most laptops DO NOT have interchangeable or upgradeable video cards, but a few do. Contact the laptop manufacturer to see if upgrades with your laptop are possible, or post the make and model here and we'll try to find out for you.

[dlb]
    :major

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

k...I've learned something. :-D I guess I shouldn't assume that since I can change out my card in my laptop, that you can do it in all laptops.

Definitely contact the manufacturer. I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

7. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

hehe easily done LauraR :p

its mostly expsensive/high end laptops that have this option iirc

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I was following links a few months back because someone asked about an external video card for a laptop. One company promised they would manufacture one - this ws several years back and so far nothing. Unfortunately, if the video ard dies in a laptop, the most you can do is salvage some of the parts (like optical drive, floppy, battery, RAM, keyboard) and sell them on eBay).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds