swap out hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sparkyrhett, Mar 2, 2012.

1. sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett Private E-2

Can I remove the hard drive from computer A, remove the hard drive from computer B, then put hard drive from computer A into computer B with out any other spec , settings or configure changes to computer B and computer B accept the different hard drive. My reason for attempting this is that computer A has failed with important info on the drive that I had not yet saved to my backup thumb drive. In other words can I "plug and play" computer B. Both computers are similar, although I may have to increase memory on computer B. Thanks in advance

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, sparkyrhett...

Short answer to your stated scenario, if you are planning to use the 'A' drive to boot the 'B' computer: negative.

You can, however, simply pull the drive from computer 'A' and install it in computer 'B' as a slave (non-bootable) drive - you should then be able to access and salvage the data...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett Private E-2

Thank You for your advise. Next question, how do I do that

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

quickest way is to go down to the local computer store and get a device like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Set the drive as a master, and plug it in via USB, copy your data off.

Otherwise you have to determine if you have a SATA or IDE drive there, open your case and see if you have a connector for such device,maybe set the bios order for boot devices or enable the ports, if it is IDE, set the jumper accordingly, boot the system and copy the data, then uplugg everything, make sure everything is back the way you found it and put the case back on.

Either way... but swapping drives might not work at all, one Windows freaks out sometimes when drivers change (hardware changing from A to B) and it will just BSOD & never come up or Windows might deactivate due to hardware changes.

5. Caliban

Are these IDE (PATA) or SATA drives?

If IDE, then you'll have to set the jumper on the drive to the 'Slave' setting. The illustration is common, but your drive may be different - there should be a diagram on the drive showing the proper settings. When you connect the IDE cable and power up, Windows should see the drive.

If SATA, just connect to an unused SATA port on the motherboard and Windows should again recognize the drive.

EDIT: sorry, foogoo - didn't see you lurking. Good suggestion, but if there's another machine readily available, I can't see having to buy an adapter unless absolutely necessary...

Attached Files:

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I just think the USB adapter helps with the KISS factor, considering what can happen if the wrong person goes poking around inside the PC's case.

7. Caliban

Good point - I'm a big KISS fan, myself...:guitar

;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds