swapping hard drives dell dimensions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leeleebb1, Nov 24, 2014.

1. leeleebb1

leeleebb1 Private E-2

have two dell dimensions 9100. One has 250G, NATIVE COMMAND QUEUEING, 7.2K, 8M Lead Free, MXT-SA drive and the other has 80GB, Serial ATA 7.2K, 8MB, Native Command Queueing, SeaGate drive. Can I put the 250 hard drive into the 9100 that has the 80GB hard drive?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

As long as both are SATA connections, there shouldn't be a problem. Do both have your OS on them or are you swapping out secondary/data drives?

3. leeleebb1

leeleebb1 Private E-2

Hi I wasn't sure you could do it as I read somewhere that in order for it to work everything in both pc had to be exactly the same. I figured they are both 9100 and both Windows XP. I also was going to take 1gb of ram and add it as well. I'm a computer novice so swapping out hard drives and adding memory is a bit scary. I did change my power supply following a youtube video so I'm hoping I can find another one to give me a visual. Any suggestions/advice would be helpful.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here's a link that will get you the Service Manual for your Dell Dimension 9100. I made sure I had one for my Dell Precision M70 BEFORE I replaced the System board (motherboard).

I don't know the max RAM the 9100 will support but, increasing to 2 GB should be a snap.

5. leeleebb1

leeleebb1 Private E-2

thank you much

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds