swapping Windows 2000 Pro on different computers

Discussion in 'Software' started by subgeeky, Sep 18, 2008.

1. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

I have an Emachine with Celeron processor 633 Mhz, 256 MB RAM, 128 KB cache running Windows 2000 Pro.

I got a Dell Dimension L550r sitting idle, also with 256 MB RAM but 256 KB cache and PIII processor. I'm guessing it it's 550 MHz.

Thinking it'll run faster with the higher cache for some applications even thought its ~100 MHz slower, I just moved the HDD from the Emachine to the Dell. Everything seems to runs, although a little slow for some apps, and Firefox did crash once.

Are the annoyances due to the codes for Windows 2000 Pro was installed for the Celeron processor and not the PIII?

Will reinstalling Windows 2000 Pro on the Dell help my situation?

Just like to get confirmation before I spend time to reinstall everything if it's not going to help the situation.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

It's more likely that the slowness is due to Windows struggling with the wrong drivers for the motherboard and graphics. did you reinstall these?

The P3 should be a tad faster than the celeron. The bus speed of the P3 is 100MHz, whilst the celeron is 66MHz. The cache is size less important.

3. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

I think some of Windows configuration utility popped up and tried to install hardware drivers. I was not prompted to insert the Windows 2000 CD. Not sure if the motherboard and graphics drivers for the Dell was installed.

I searched and found it uses Intel 810e chipset, the graphics is onboard the motherboard.

Found
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...e=Windows*+2000&lang=eng&strOSs=19&submit=Go!

Which # drivers do I need to install - I'm thinking #1 and #2. My assumption is the driver is for both motherboard and graphics.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You should be able to download all the drivers you need free from Dell support, they are very good. Dell products are specific to Dell so don't use generic chip manufacturer's ones. They will not be on the Windows2000 CD.

You will normally need drivers for
    graphics card
    motherboard
    audio
    LAN/network
    modem
    installed pci cards

Do the installation in that order.
    Check with Device Manager - it will show anything missed.

5. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

Didn't work.

After reinstalling OS and other software, noticeable difference in speed.

Lesson learned.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds