Swept, De-fragged, Deleted EReg Errors, and Reg Defraged, now a problem.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dark Angel, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Private E-2

I ran the disk sweep, disk defrag, TweakNow2006 registry cleaner and registry defrag, all of which I have done many times before, and after the reboot (required after registry defrag), every time I open my browser, IE, and almost everytime I open a new tab, the computer runs some type of scan. The picture shows each frame/step of the scan, top to bottom, left to right, 1 through 6. On #3, when I hit "Ok", I get #4. When I hit "Browse" I get five, and when I hit "Cancel" I get six. I have never used or seen this scan before. I'd appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/cheetah7985/ScanError.jpg

[​IMG]

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi Dark angel, well im not familiar with this problem, but i googled the "1706" error code and i found this..... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297834

Do you have Office installed and if so is it working ok?

Im thinking maybe one the maintenance prog's you ran have deleted or messed up a file.

Have you tried system restore?

If that works i would advise you dont use those maintenance app's anymore, they dont really do much at all and when they do it is not always good.

Ccleaner and a good defragger is adequate maintenance.

Ccleaner ~ http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

3. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Private E-2

Office is working fine and the system restore did not work. :( I am unable to use the troublshooting link you provided because I do not have the Office CD-ROM. Thank you for your help, any other ideas?

4. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

5. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Private E-2

The same problem occurs.

6. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day Dark Angel

i find it odd that the windows installer is trying to install some kind of scan on the computer.firstly you could try the windows installer cleanup utility " http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html " to remove the entry.run the program locate the scan entry then delete it.
    this also could be malware related maybe a trip through the read and run me first malware removal guide found here " http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 " would rule out anything malware related on your pc.
    good luck hope this helps.

7. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

I'm assuming this problem happened after you used your registry cleaner, right? If so, did that program make a back-up? If it did, hopefully, you may be able to restore your machine to a point BEFORE you ran the cleaner and see if that helps. You may have run that reg cleaner many times before, but it only takes once to screw everything up. I have to go along with ~Q~ on CCleaner....it's safe. To me, the registry is 'No Man's Land' UNLESS you really know what you're doing, which I don't, and that's why I use CCleaner. (damn, I sound like a commericalroflmao) Good Luck, Dark Angel;)

8. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Private E-2

Before I make "permanent changes" to my system, how am I supposed to know that this is the correct item to remove? The Registry Defragger does have a back-up system, that was the first thing I tried :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/cheetah7985/ScanError2.jpg

[​IMG]

There is no Installation Package.MSI option on that list.

9. iwunderdownunder

g'day Dark Angel

from the listing it appears to be possibly part of a printer scanner package and the msi would be on a cd installation disk. what is happening is the windows installer is trying to install this software removing this item from the list will stop this from happening.

10. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Private E-2

11. iwunderdownunder

g'day Dark Angel

if the error does not appear again just see how things go.but if it shows up again copy and paste it here and we will sort it out.also as to Q's suggestion you really do need to be careful when cleaning the registry,a lot of these cleaners you find on the net can create more problems by deleting keys that are important ccleaner is one of the most safest as it has the ability to store backups of what changes it makes so they can be easily undone.

12. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Private E-2

I've been using TweakNow for over two years and this is the first problem I have ever had. If the program is failing for whatever reason, I will surely remove it, but with only one occurence in two years, I give it the benefit of the doubt. Thank you for your assistance, and I'll check out CCleaner regardless!

13. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Not to rub salt into any wounds, but this is one reason why cleaning the registry is not a real great idea. It will seldom speed up your PC, and seldom fixes any problems. While cleaning the registry once in a while is OK (like once every 2 months or so), I personally don't think that cleaning it weekly is helpful, it is probably going to have more negative effects then positive effects. I use the CCleaner file cleaner 3-4 times weekly on my home PC, and I run the reg cleaner maybe once very 2 months. I simply have not seen any positive proof that cleaning a registry makes much of a difference on a PC where other maintenance is performed regularly. Of course, if a problematic program needs to be removed (like Norton for example) then running a reg clean after the problem app is removed is a good idea, same goes for after a major malware infection. But I think running a reg clean weekly as part of a regular maintenance schedule is just asking for problems.

But that's my personal opinion.

14. pistol

pistol Private First Class

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds