Switch raid arrays! Or something.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mimsy, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

i have a small problem. I posted a few weeks ago about a hard drive that dramatically died on me (By the way, THANK YOU to everyone who posted and suggested solutions. None of them worked, but I'm not any less appreciative just because the drive decided to be a royal pain and disaster.) The rest of my computer seemed perfectly fine, so I went to cannibalize parts from a dead system sitting on a shelf.

In the dead system I found a CPU upgrade, which was nice, and a couple of 80GB Seagate hard drives that had "SATA" and other interesting things printed on the labels. They looked identical, so I took them, managed to locate the motherboard packaging and all the accessories, found the SATA cables, and hooked up the drives according to what the manual said. I then booted the system and made my way to the BIOS, to configure the raid setup.

Here is my problem: The two drives still have everything on them that was originally installed, which is WinXP, a ton of weird applications, and the raid configuration from the now dead system.

Now my question: The raid configuration is a weird combination of Raid 0 and Raid 1, and would make way more sense if it was utilized in a way that made any sense at all. The OS is installed on a 160GB partition, and an 80GB is used for storage and installing everything else, and that's it. Windows of course treats the partitions as two entirely separate drives. i want to switch this to Raid 0. Now here's my question: What happens to everything that is installed, when I do that?

ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard, in case you want to know. It is awesome.

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I'm too late for editing, and it occurs to me that my original question may have been a bit vague. What I want to know is, how much will I need to reinstall after switching the raid array around? This is an important question for me first and foremost because I cannot find my WinXP disc anywhere. And believe me, I have looked.

Thanks! :)

/Mimsy

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Im not that up on raid, but i thought in raid things was scattered all around on all the hard drives, when one went bad you lost it all, maybe not. Im sure someone will straightin me out. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds