Switch to Comodo Internet Security (Firewall only)?

Discussion in 'Software' started by rxl, Jan 27, 2009.

1. rxl

rxl Private E-2

I'm currently using ZoneAlarm Free (version 8) as my firewall. I like it because of it's ease-of-use (in my opinion). While it is a decent firewall, and I am not experiencing any issues with my machine (WinXP SP3), I'm thinking of changing it to a "better rated" firewall (according to reviews / results on Matousec). I know, software as a whole is a matter of personal choice and maybe I should leave well-enough alone...

I've tried Online Armor Free in the past. Though well-regarded, for me it seemed to slow down my machine, so I'm going to pass on that one.

I see from other posts that people have mixed opinions about PC Tools Firewall Plus. So, unless it gets a great recommendation from more than one person, maybe I'll pass on that one as well?

I'm thinking about Comodo Internet Security (the firewall only). The only initial drawback I've heard is that Comodo seems to have a lot of pop-up windows asking the user for input compared to ZoneAlarm which seems to only ask the first time.
    Here's my question, which I don't think was asked elsewhere (I may be wrong) --
    If I do decide to switch, which option should I select:
    a) Basic Firewall only
    b) Firewall with ProActive Defense
    c) Firewall with ProActive Defense Plus.
    Also, is SafeSurf necessary?

On a side note, I've heard (but cannot confirm) that Comodo's Anti-Virus (and perhaps the Anti-Spyware portion) isn't quite up-to-snuff.

I should mention that I already have real-time anti-virus and anti-spyware installed.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Comodo also has a great standalone firewall without AV.

3. rxl

rxl Private E-2

Yes, I knew about the stand-alone firewall, but if it's here on MG, I didn't happen to see it. Didn't even think to go to their actual website. LOL

I heard somewhere that Comodo is moving towards integrating BOClean into Comodo Internet Security. Thus it will eventually have their Firewall, Anti-Virus, and BOClean (Anti-Malware) apps all-in-one. I guess this means that they may be doing away with the stand-alone versions of these apps?

Still looking / hoping for feedback on the installation options (Basic, Proactive Defense, Proactive Defense Plus). Anyone?

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

It used to be listed, although you should be able to get it at the Comodo website.

5. rxl

rxl Private E-2

FYI only...

Took a very quick look around the Comodo website. It seems that they are only offering CIS, as I was not able to locate the stand-alone download.

However, I was able to Comodo Firewall 3.0.25.378 here:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds