Switch/uplink question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tater, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm just getting into more networking at work so this should be an easy one. When it comes to 24 Cisco/3com... switches, what is the standard for when to use a crossover and which needs to be an uplink?

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

In a typical setup a cross over cable is not used at all. In fact it's possible the uplink port is unused as well, but it's fairly uncommon these days.

Computers would plug into the switch using patch (straight through) cables. Any modem or router would plug into it using the uplink port. Typically speaking you'd also use a patch cable for this connection, although sometimes (older models usually) will require a cross over cable to do this.

On a normal switch today a corss over cable is basicly only going to be needed if you are connecting the switch to another switch.

3. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks Coco, linking 2 or more switches is what I wasn't sure about. You go from a normal port in one to the uplink in the other correct? If, so does it matter which switch you use the uplink? Are those always crossover cables too?

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

When linking a switch to another switch (properly) you always use a cross over cable, and the cable would plug into the uplink port on both of them. Although this isn't seen much anymore since that creates a small self contained network which wouldn't really be used to go online.

You can just connect it using one uplink port. Ususally it would be the one at the end of the chain that has it plugged into the uplink port though. In other words you'd have your net (router/WAN) connection coming into one via the uplink port and then the other uplink port would have the switch plug into it.

5. Tater

Tater Tot

What if there is only one uplink port? I'll mainly be dealing with small to mid size businesses with a fiber switch (link from other buildings) and other switches in the same rack but fed from the fiber switch.

6. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I'm sorry, I think I wasn't clear in what I meant.

Each switch only has one uplink port. (We'll say the router is you're WAN) So the setup would be router plugs into the first switches uplink port and then that switch plugs into the second switches uplink port.

7. Tater

Tater Tot

Ok, thanks a lot Coco.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds