Switched to DSL, now wireless drops out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tanuki, Apr 8, 2007.

1. tanuki

tanuki Private E-2

I switched from a cable modem to a dsl a few weeks ago. Now, my wireless connection cuts out from time to time. The Netgear connection utility shuts down completely and refuses to open. Restarting seems to correct the problem. I'm running XP SP 2, a Netgear PCI wireless card, Microsoft MN500 wireless basestation. Any advice on how I can fix, short of buying a new wireless card?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Either the basestation is going bad, but doubtful that it has to do with going to DSL. Just bad timing.

3. i-CONICA

i-CONICA Private E-2

i know its unlikly but try updating firmware in both devices, this is unlikely if it worked before, but give it a go, remember to back up your old firmware, because my linksys router has a new firmware available, so i upgraded to that, its wireless function is really bad, ie, my pda is TOUCHING the router and gets one bar signal, and there were other problems too, i rolled back to the old one now and its fine agian, but its not all tears sometimes a firmware upgrade can speed things up or fix other problem, so nothing to lose then?, go for it! :major i-CONICA :major

4. tanuki

tanuki Private E-2

I'll try your firmware recommendation. I had looked into that for the Netgear wireless card, but frankly their support site is so bad I wasn't able to figure out how to do the update. I'll redouble my efforts, and see if Microsoft has a basestation update as well.

Thanks guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds