Switching between wireless and wired network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gogreen, Jul 27, 2006.

1. gogreen

gogreen Private E-2

I have a new laptop with Windows XP. I connect to a wired LAN at work with a statice IP address but have wireless at home. when I use the laptop at home I loose my TCP/IP settings on the LAN and have to re-enter them when I return to work. Is there a way to prevent this from happening.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Each of your adapters (wired and wireless) should retain their respective settings regardless of what networks you connect to, so can you please describe the steps you take each time you switch networks (ie home - work and work - home)?

3. dchristman

dchristman Private E-2

Yea I agree those settings should not change switching back and forth between the different adapters. I would recommend when your at work to disable your wireless connection and when your at home to disable your hard wired local area connection since your not using them. Maybe you can even disable your hard wired connection before you leave work and see if it holds when you come back. I'm not sure that this would work since you shouldn't have to do this but give it a try anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds