Switching to Speaker from Headphone issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crabbypatty, Sep 18, 2006.

1. crabbypatty

crabbypatty Private E-2

I have a compaq running Windows XP. I use headphones frequently which work fine. The problem is that when I remove the headphones jack, the speakers don't work. I have to restart the computer with the headphone jack removed and then the speakers work again until I use the headphones again. Then the speakers don't work again and so on. How do I get it to automatically detect which audio output I want to use?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The Jack is probably going Wonky on you. I doubt that it would be a software issue, due to all the jack does is disconnect the circuit from the circuit path to the speakers. I would not doubt that it is a motherboard issue, or a soundcard issue if a desktop.

3. crabbypatty

crabbypatty Private E-2

Thanks brownizs. Do you have any idea how to fix this? This is a new computer that did not come with speakers. My old speakers wouldn't work with it. I called Comaq and they told me I had to have speakers with their own power supply. So I bought some and they didn't come with a driver or instructions. Since the speakers did not come with my Compaq do you think I should call tech support? I am hesitant to call tech support it seems like every time the technicians have me do something I take the chance of messing up something even worse. What do you think? :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds