Switching Users problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by flessa, Oct 11, 2005.

1. flessa

flessa Private First Class

Got a problem that I have not encountered before. My little used Compaq Presario died again so I pulled the hard drive out and disposed of the carcass. Then I picked up a P3 lease return w/o a drive in it. I put my drive in and started it up. Windows wouldn't load...said some dll was missing. I figured if one was corrupted there were probable others and just reinstalled XP Pro over it. I can't do a clean install because I have no way to back up any data on my drive just yet.

Anyway, this is not the first time I have installed XP but this time, when we attempted to switch between users, it asked for a password and would not go any further. Naturally, I did not have any passwords set up at that point. In order to switch users, we have to reboot the system. That pretty much defeats the purpose of being able to switch back and forth between users so I would really like to get this fixed.

I checked under CtrlPanel>Power>Advanced and found that Fast Switching was enabled and there was a check mark beside 'Prompt for Password". I removed the check mark but it didn't change anything, it still wants a password to get in.

My XP Pro does not yet have SP2 on it. I do not know any specs for this computer either. And I find that the drive was loaded with bugs and hidden goodies. I reinstalled AdAware and Spybot, updated and then ran them both. AdAware found over 500 items to get rid off and Spybot took over an hour to run. I do not know if any of these nasties is affecting the logon procedures or not.

System REstore is currently turned off. I also ran Hijack This and have a log if someone wants to see it. So far Castle Cops has not responded.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Not sure what you mean by:-
    "My XP Pro does not yet have SP2 on it. I do not know any specs for this computer either."

If you want to know what is in the box, try EVEREST. Free from MG.
    Everest Home Edition. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

When you run EVEREST, Click on "Computer" icon, then on "Summary", then on "Report" (at top menu), then on "Quick Report Summary", down to "Plain text". Save it to a file, as whatever name you like, (maybe PCddmmyy--with ddmmyy being the current date). Then it can be posted for all to see.

Bazza

3. flessa

It means that my XP Pro has not been updated with SP2.

I think I have Everest on here but not installed. Maybe I will run that real quick......

Version EVEREST v1.51.195
    Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    DirectX 4.08.01.0810 (DirectX 8.1)

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron II, 907 MHz (9 x 101)
    Motherboard Name MSI 815E(P)T Pro (MS-6337 v5.x) / MS-6337 LE5
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Solano i815E
    System Memory 256 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (11/07/01)
    Display:
    Video Adapter Intel(r) 82815 Graphics Controller (4 MB)
    3D Accelerator Intel i752
    Monitor Gateway EV500 [15" CRT] (92884891)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Intel 82801BA(M) ICH2 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-5]

Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive Maxtor 92041U4 (20 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
    Optical Drive CREATIVE CD5233E (52x CD-ROM)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 19527 MB (10053 MB free)

Network:
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (65.7.67.46)
    Modem Lucent Win Modem

Peripherals:
    Printer Fax
    USB1 Controller Intel 82801BA(M) ICH2 - USB Controller 1 [B-5]
    USB1 Controller Intel 82801BA(M) ICH2 - USB Controller 2 [B-5]

Jeez....... it's a Celeron.... oh well, it's getting me online anyway. And looks like networking should be a breeze if I choose to do so.

I have run AVG, AdAware, Spybot, and The Cleaner again. I am still left with the following:

Abetterinternet.Aurora
    DyFuCA.InternetOptimizer
    ISearchTech.SideFind
    n-Case

Apparently Spybot and AVG can find them but not get rid of them. The other 2 don't seem to recognize them.

It has been suggested elsewhere that perhaps my login problems are a way for one of these trojans to capture my password and forward it somewhere else. In any case I need to get them off my computer and prevent more from appearing. I thought I Zone Alarm on here but can't find it so I will head over to Zone Labs and redownload it.

4. bigbazza

I would have thought that someone else would have stepped in to suggest downloading Zone Alarm from MG. (keep it in the family). Time zone differences mean I've just got back on.

If not too late, try these Firewalls download. Only activate one, though. 2 firewalls open is not a good idea. At least that is the common line of thought. Never tried to run 2 at once, myself.
    Sygate Personal Firewall. www.majorgeeks.com/download3356.html

Zone Alarm. (Free version) http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html

Beware, some are free and some are pro versions, some with, and some without, an AV included. Your choice. A lot here use ZA. Some use Sygate.

Also maybe run that Trojan checker I posted earlier.[​IMG] Bazza

===

5. flessa

I did a search for ZA here but didn't come up with it. Must not have spelled it just right for the search engine. but at any rate, I have the free ZA back up and running.

I did download The Cleaner but it doesn't find these trojans. Where did you list the one you mentioned? I'll go to the front page and search for trojan, see what I come up with.

I'm not home at the moment tho so I won't be working on it again for a day or two.

6. bigbazza

Sorry, trojan checker was on another post. Try latest version on MG.

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&client=pub-6960825562757852&cof=GL%3A1%3BBGC%3A%23FFFFFF%3BT%3A%23000000%3BLC%3A%230000CC%3BVLC%3A%23663399%3BALC%3A%230000CC%3BGALT%3A%23008000%3BGFNT%3A%23000000%3BGIMP%3A%23000000%3BDIV%3A%23336699%3BLBGC%3A%23FFFFFF%3BAH%3Acenter%3B&domains=MajorGeeks.com&q=remover.exe&btnG=Search&sitesearch=MajorGeeks.com

Other "removers", not necessarily for Trojans.
    http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&client=pub-6960825562757852&cof=GL%3A1%3BBGC%3A%23FFFFFF%3BT%3A%23000000%3BLC%3A%230000CC%3BVLC%3A%23663399%3BALC%3A%230000CC%3BGALT%3A%23008000%3BGFNT%3A%23000000%3BGIMP%3A%23000000%3BDIV%3A%23336699%3BLBGC%3A%23FFFFFF%3BAH%3Acenter%3B&domains=MajorGeeks.com&q=remover&btnG=Search&sitesearch=MajorGeeks.com

Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds