SWTOR problems, and now League of Legends

Discussion in 'Software' started by phumo, Feb 20, 2013.

1. phumo

phumo Private E-2

While playing swtor my game would mnimize. Recently while playing LoL my computer would shut down during play. This happend 1-2 times everyday, or more. I now cannot boot my pc. When I try my screen is fuzzy and after the windows image is gone Nd the loggin screen comes up my monitor goes black. Its a custom built pc with a gigabyte udd3 mobo nvidia gforce 560 with 12gb ram. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: posting on my phone :)

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Can you get any signs of life out of the thing at all? If you have on-board graphics on the motherboard, take out your video card and connect the monitor to the on-board GPU. If you're not sure if you have on-board video, if you post the full model of the board we'll look it up for you. UDD3 is a suffix that Gigabyte uses for a lot of their Intel boards, and we need to narrow things down further. The model name/number is going to be on the mobo or and the manual, and it will also be on the board itself, silk-screened onto the PCB.

What you're describing your PC is doing sounds like bad video card to me, and taking it out and using another video source for the monitor is the best way to check that.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. phumo

phumo Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. Yes I get life, boots up fine/sounds fine. Last time it crashed rebooted to fuzzy screen. The after the os boots to windows log in it blacks out. Mobo is a x58a-ud3r

4. Mimsy

Signs of life is good news, that means we don't have to worry about the motherboard. That particular one does not have on-board video though, according to Gigabyte's spec sheet at least, so we'll need to find some other way to test your video card. Can you borrow a card from someone?

Also, can you boot windows in Safe Mode? To do that, you'd tap F8 during POST, before it actually starts to load the operating system.

5. phumo

phumo Private E-2

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in class until 4:30 est. I have access to old video cards from old rigs I could try when I get home. Ill also see if I can boot up in safe mode too. Ill keep you updated when I get home. Thank you for the help

6. phumo

phumo Private E-2

Got ahold of another video card. About to give it a try

7. Mimsy

How did it go? :)

8. phumo

phumo Private E-2

Went well. Computer works. Only thing is, a highest resolution the screen "wiggles". Any ideas?

9. Mimsy

"wiggles"? I'm not sure, since I have never heard of that before... define "wiggles"?

And my first thought is that it's driver-related. Is the borrowed card also nvidia, or is it an ATI? If it's ATI, left-over drivers from the old card may cause conflicts and problems. If you think that might have happened, DriverSweeper can locate and remove your old graphics driver for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds