Sygate Personal Firewall installed, now can't access internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigOrangeJeff, Aug 10, 2006.

1. BigOrangeJeff

BigOrangeJeff Private E-2

While following directions to correct a multitude of other problems, I uninstalled Norton Internet Security and am downloading the recommended apps (AVG, etc.). When I d/l and installed Sygate Personal Firewall, I had to reboot. When I did, I lost my connection to the internet. I can still access my wireless network (LinkSys), but can't get online. When I uninstalled SPF, my internet connection came back.

I imagine this is just a setting in SPF or Wireless Network Configuration, but I don't want to screw myself by making bad changes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahh, I would expect that you've accidentally blocked the app you are using to access the internet. (This is how Sygate works, on a program-by-program basis)

This should be as simple to correct as opening the applications list and clicking the box next the the blocked program until it is allowed.

Sygate is no longer officially supported, but you can find an excellent user's guide at this link, and it is still a fantastic choice of firewall.

3. BigOrangeJeff

BigOrangeJeff Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is not the problem. Both IE and Mozilla Firefox programs open and operate. When SPF is running, the program gives me the standard "No Connection Found" message.

Is there any chance this has to do with my firewall settings?

Thanks,
    Jeff

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

That's what I was trying to say. Please open the 'Applications' section of Sygate Personal Firewall, and ensure that neither Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox has been blocked. If they are, please allow them by clicking the checkbox next to them until it says 'Allow'. If not, please post what items are blocked (perhaps you've blocked an essential network service)

Regards,

Milty

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds