Symantec Live Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Big_Al, May 20, 2004.

1. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Hello,
    I'm new to this board, so please forgive me if this topic has been touched on before.
    Most of you probably know that Symantec has dumped their live update feature because of security holes. Is there any way to download a new version, or does it come with the latest Norton Anti-Virus? Is it just gone altogether? I'm running Norton 2003, and any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Chris

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Do you have a reference for this? There was a recent news story about a security flaw in a Symantec product but none that indicated that Symantec was going to "dump" LiveUpdate.

I have just been using LiveUpdate to download the latest NIS signatures without any problem.

You can download LiveUpdate from http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html and there are plenty of articles there if you are having problems with LiveUpdate.

3. radiot

radiot Private First Class

4. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Unfortunately, that link is not working. I'm getting an "unavailable" message.

Here's where I got the information about Symantec...........

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39119063,00.htm

I thought it was something on their end because when I try to log on to Live Update, I get a message asking me to make sure I am connected to the internet. I'm always connected and never had this problem until April.
    Chris

5. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

OK, Big_Al that ZDNet article is similar to the one I was refering to but the ZDNet article does not refer to Symantec "dumping LiveUpdate" - LiveUpdate is still alive! The latest LiveUpdate can be downloaded from the link I posted, which was still alive when I checked just now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds