Symantec online scan

Discussion in 'Software' started by Can't come up with any, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Evening all :)
    Wondering if anybody could help with this little delema. I tried to run Symantecs online scan, like I've been doing for countles years. But for some reason once the scan is ready to star it gives me a message saying it cannot scan. :confused:

Unable to run Virus Detection

In order to run Virus Detection you must be using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with ActiveX and Scripting enabled.

To learn more, see our Help.

I checked out the help section, all of my settings for Active X and scripting are right and I'm running explorer 6 with all updates.

I'm hoping this is just a glitch.

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

your firewall may be setup to block that information, so it assumes you don't have IE6, this happened to me once when I was using a privacy setting under sygate.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You should have a small yellow strip under your address bar stating,

"The previous site might require ActiveX control: 'Symantec Security Check Utilities' Click here to install................."

Left-click that strip then left-click "Install ActiveX Control"

It's part of the security update included with SP2.

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Note: This applies to Windows XP Service Pack 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Thanks guys,

I already checked my Active X and scripting options several times, they are as Symantec specifies.

1.From the browser menu, click Tools > Internet Options
    2.Click on the Security tab
    3.Select the globe icon representing the Internet Zone
    4.Click Custom Level
    5.Scroll down to the ActiveX controls and plug-ins section
    6.Under Download signed ActiveX controls select Prompt
    7.Under Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins select Enable
    8.Under Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting select Enable
    9.Click OK to close the Security Settings window (If prompted to verify that you want to change the security settings for this zone click Yes)
    10.Click OK to close the Internet Options window

1.From the browser menu, click Tools > Internet Options
    2.Click on the Security tab
    3.Select the globe icon representing the Internet Zone
    4.Click Custom Level
    5.Scroll down to the Scripting section
    6.Under Active Scripting select Enable
    7.Click OK to close the Security Settings window (If prompted to verify that you want to change the security settings for this zone click Yes)
    8.Click OK to close the Internet Options window

My firewall (Kerio) is also set to warn me when something is trying to gain access.

I even disabled Spyware Blaster and Spybot just in case.

I also get the 2 messages from Symantec about downloading
    1. Virus detection
    2. Virus definitions
    The scan doesn't even start that it gives me the "Cannot scan" bla! bla!

I wonder if it isn't because of last patch I downloaded from Microsoft KB891711 last week, it would be a strange coincidence.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

7. Insomniac

Please read what I posted carefully!

That's not the same as what I posted.

It's not the settings in Internet Options, it's part of SP2 improved security.

Go HERE, then click on Scan For Viruses, third one down.

You will then arrive to this screen,

Notice the yellow strip under the address bar, click that as I explained earlier.

Attached Files:

8. Insomniac

Re: Please read what I posted carefully!

My post above is in reply to Can't Come Up With Any and not to Steve.

(didn't refresh page before posting)

9. Re: Please read what I posted carefully!

Don't got that ;) , I'm running 98

10. Insomniac

Re: Please read what I posted carefully!

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, under the heading Temporary Internet Files click the setting button then click View Objects.

Any ActiveX script applets marked Symantec right-click and delete.

If you aren't sure of it's origin, right-click and properties.

Close all open windows and try again.

11. Already done that, but the files just come back.

12. Insomniac

Coming back is good.

It needs to download an ActiveX script to that folder. That is the program that scans the PC.

I only said to delete it in case it was corrupt so a new one could be downloaded.

If you right-click and select update, does it check for updates online? (It won't stay up for long if it's the latest one)

Also, try how far do you get on the Symantec site? (might be an idea to try another online scanning site)

13. Did an update, nothing.

When I get to the scan your computer, everything's fine.

I accept first windows warning about downloading ActiveX. Then after a couple of seconds I get prompted about the virus definitions, up to this point nothing wrong.

But once the screen changes for the scan page, it changes right away to the "Cannot scan, you need IE6, and you must activate ActiveXand scripting to enable scan", witch I've checked about 50 times now.

I don't get why I can't now if I could before.

14. Insomniac

Have you tried another online scan?

15. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

AND, did you ever try the link I gave you?

Steve

16. Yes, I use other online scans from time to timeand recently they have all been working fine. At this point it's become personal, I don't get why symantec says that my settings are the reason the scan won't work. :confused:

17. Hi Steve, yes I did.
    However, one thing I noticed is that even after deleting, the files that reappear still have the same date as the previous ones (05/02/18). Witch makes me think the files are not deleting properly.

18. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try it again so we can at least rule that out. Be sure you confirm the deletion and restart your computer.

Steve

19. I'll give it another try, but this time I'll try another way internet options - Temp. internet files - parameters - display all objects.

20. Nada man :( I'm not the type to give up so easily however.

One thing though, how do I reverse the setting for when you download something and explorer asks you if you wish to trust this site from now on?

21. Nada man, I'm not the type to give up however. One thing though, how can I change the option in explorer to "always trust" a certain site when downloading?

22. ???? :eek: Wrote this twice cause the first time it wasn't showing.

23. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Not sure in 98, I'm guessing here. Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites.

One more idea, if the files you are deleting come back when you restart, don't restart. You see what I mean?

Go thru the link again and make sure the files are deleted and don't restart the computer, just go straight to the online scan and try it.

Steve

24. Hi Steve,

The files keep coming back :confused:
    I don't even restart, just refreshing makes them come back. I just tried doing the same thing on my brother in-law's comp.(running 98 also) when I do refresh the files don't come back, and Symantec scans his comp. no problem.
    And his settings are the same as mine for ActiveX. Files probably are corrupt, but I can't get ride of them.

25. The thing is I granted permission to always trust Symantec downloads, to see if that would help. Obviously it didn't, so now I want to reverse this setting. I figured just dumping my temp files would maybe do the trick but that was useless. Any ideas guys?

26. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Have you deleted all your cookies?

27. Yup! Even used CCleaner just in case.

28. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

When you delete, are you doing it through IE? try deleting them manually through explorer and empty RB?

29. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try safe mode and see if you can delete them. I have another thought but want to check on how you should go about it, might be tomorrow.

Anybody got any ideas on this?

Steve

30. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Ray's post made me think of something also. Make sure you are not on the Symantec website when trying to delete the files.

Steve

31. Tried safe mode, tried with browser off, tried with fingers crossed :D
    Nothing.

32. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Do you have any other Symantec services running on your PC that could be returning those files? This is really interesting. Have you gone to Symantec support and looked around there, I find them usefull sometimes. Other than that, I can be of no help, beyond my capabilities :(

33. Nope! Don't have anything of Symantec's on my comp. (Avast)
    I checked the support section, tried some stuff but nothing changed. I followed there instructions on applying the settings needed, but they where already right. Even tried uninstalling last windows update I did before this happened, still nada.(yes, I did reinstall it ;) )

Thanks anyways RayDunne, and to all that have tried to help.
    But I'm not worried, out of 31,945 fellow Geeks, I'm sure something will come up. :D

34. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

35. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

WOW, what a PITA, there should be a rant about Symantec, I'm slowly trying to phase their dtuff out of my PC, all I need are free windows tools comperable to OBC and I'll be Symantec free :D I found this thread while following mine, another Symantec issue :eek: >>> http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=59436 <<< Anyway, good luck man :eek:

36. Hum! We seem to be getting somewhere, the fix got rid of the "corrupt files" however the scan still won't work, and after trying that I checked my downloaded programe files and guess what...there back, and the date created is still the same (05/02/18). So for now I ran the fix again, but for now I won't try the scan I wonder why the corrupt files keep coming back?

Anyways I think I'm gona call it a night. (No smilies that are sleeping. Oh! well)

Nite guys, and thanks a bunch.

37. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. After running the fix I would try the first link I gave you and see if it works now.

Steve

38. Link doesn't work.

Attached Files:

39. Hi guys,
    I realised over the weekend that Symantec’s online security check works without any problems. The thing I'm wondering is why does this scan work but not the virus detection scan? Both use activeX. :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds