Symbols for a filename?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cschaar, Nov 21, 2008.

1. cschaar

cschaar Private E-2

I'm not too great with computers so I'll do my best to explain this problem. I have a Sandisk Cruzer 8gb flash drive and It has some important documents for a school project on it. The problem with them is that they have strange filenames such as %∙╜σÅ$ .æ┴. The file type is: File Folder (.æ┴). Im just really confused as to what happened to these files. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

Two things: it's either file corruption, or a language setting has been messed up. Have you tried to open the files on a different PC?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  3. cschaar

cschaar Private E-2

Yea I tried them on a different computer, same exact file names. It's looking like it won't be possible to recover them right now. I'm most likely going to end up formatting the flash drive.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Be sure to use the proper procedure when disconnecting the flash drive from a computer. I'm talking about the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon you see in the system tray when a USB device in connected.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Is this a U3 drive?

6. cschaar

cschaar Private E-2

Actually it was a U3 enabled flash drive. Does that make a difference? I've never used the U3 system before.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yes I thought so.

The first time you use a U3 drive you have to choose whether to enable or disable the U3 system.

The U3 system is software which allows the user to install programs on to the drive as if it were a hard drive. This makes them portable.

This also requires the U3 to be installed onto the host pc. This takes a few minutes and you can mess things up if you try access before it is finished, but only need doing when you plug it into a new pc.

If you have chosen to enable the U3 then you must access everything through its interface.

If you have chosen to disable the U3 (you can always enable it at any time later) the stick will appear as a normal usb memory stick.

I carry a U3 enabled cruzer with antispyware loaded - very useful for strange pcs.

Hope this helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds