Sync? Maybe it should be sunk instead

Discussion in 'Software' started by hankyknot, Oct 31, 2007.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Windows Sync, in Vista, a great sounding tool thats got me stumped.
    The idea is that you can synchronise files between computers a la briefcase sort of thing. Only problem is I cant see for the life of me how to get it to work. I have a desktop PC and a Samsung Q1 UMPC which I would like to sync certain folders between. Mostly multimedai files because I use LogmeIn to do any real work from the UMPC on the desktop.

So I click on Sync and it tells me I have no relationships set up, fair enough so I click on Set up new relationships and... it tells me I have no relationships set up and round and round I go.

I read an article about using Offline Files but I'm damned ifI can find where that is now.

Anyone got this nice sounding but elusive process to work?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Unless you have Vista Ultimate or Business, the sync center is nothing more than activesync for Vista.

3. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

activesynch? and that means what?

Nothing makes any mention of offlline files being limited to specific versions, although it wouldnt surprise me, we are talking microsoft here.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Activeync is for syncing PDAs.

Now now, don't bash Microsoft. The information is all there.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/synccenter.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/footnotes.mspx

This was largely the same of XP Home vs Pro, too.

5. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Even Win95 had briefcase but if sync isnt available in home premium then lose the icon or at the very Least put something in the help file that lists which versions the help relates to

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds