synchronisation problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by mastermiaow, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mastermiaow

mastermiaow Private First Class

Hi

I am posting on this forum because I am having problems with synching any device attached to the laptop. This is a problem that has been present ever since my computer was affected by some kind of trojan. I managed to get rid of the trojan but now:
    • I can only sync my digital camera manually eg. by going to the folder in my computer, opening that, opening the folder within that et il I get to the photos
    • I could no longer backup anything from my XDA phone onto Microsoft Outlook
    • I cannot load the address data I have on Mictrosoft Outlook onto my new Blackberry even though all settings with software seem correct
      There also seems to be a problem playing CDs or DVDs in that I have to start them manually by going into the folder on My computer rather than the thing starting automatically as before..

So I am pretty sure the problem is something on my laptop - any suggestions?

Thanks

Master

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

As far as the CD and DVDs not playing automatically, a MS patch disabled autoplay because it is a security risk. If there is malware on a CD, DVD or USB drive and auto play is enabled, your computer could get infected because the malware runs with you doing nothing.

I've never "synched" any of my cameras so I can't help you there. I suspect what you mean is offload the pictures from the camera to the computer. I never attach my cameras to my computers. I simply remove the card, put it into a card reader and copy the pictures from the camera card to the computer where I burn them to a data CD or DVD before I do a bit of editing.
    If offloading from the camera to the computer is what you want to do, it might help anyone reading this to state the make and model of camera and what photo software you are using.
    Again on the phone, make and model would help others troubleshoot.

3. mastermiaow

mastermiaow Private First Class

Thanks for this plodr

I am not really worried about the CD/DVD not playing automatically. As far as the camera is concerned - yes I was talking about uploading photos from my Olympus 700. Again this is not that important because I can open the folder manually via My Computer. However synching addresses/phone numbers to my mobile from Outlook is important and it is a real pain that I can't do that. My old phone XDA mini was stolen and before that I had not been able to sync so I only had back up of addresses/phone nos up to May 09. Now I have my new phone Blackberry 8590, I cannot put address book from Outlook onto it. I am sure that the problem is with the computer rather than any software with camera or mobile phones as everything worked fine before the trojan attack...:(

Hope someone can help

Master

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sorry I can't provide any help with Outlook nor phone syncing. I've never used Outlook and my cellphone is dumb. I have it just for emergencies and only use it for phone calls.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds