Synchronise 2 hard drives

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Jul 27, 2005.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

In my continuing effort to get XP Pro working the way I want it, I need to synchro 2 identical make and model 10 gig laptop drives. Both are running W98SE. I want to add anything missing to my newest hard drive, from the oldest hard drive. Then I can wipe one, or the other. Any program that you MG'ers have actually used? How much manual control does the program give you? What is the best way of approaching this problem? I guess I could back one up to CD's. This might be the best/simplest way to go. Any ideas will be appreciated. Bazza

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Only thing I've ever used is disk imagine software to upload an image to a network share and then image another machine with identical hardware. Currently I use Altiris Deployment to do that, but I've used Ghost in the past.

I've also used DirSync to synchronize two directories. In my case I use it to mirror a few directories on one file server to another file server because access is occasionally restricted in certain areas of my workplace. Sometimes I can get to one and not the other, and vice versa. However, this is a synchronizing program, not a one-time merging application. It's meant to run in the background and silently do it's job.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

So your trying to mirror drives in Win98?
    I found this software solution: http://www.vaiosoft.com/products/volumemanager.html
    or
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features.html

Both allow backups to be performed in Windows, again allowing scheduled - incremental backups...
    Doesn't seem to be a real solution to mirroring drives in 98.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks foogoo and da_chicken for the links. I will check them out. I have a copy of Acronis True Image Deluxe that came with a PC Mag. I tried Ghost a few years ago but it could never work properly with 2 identical make and model hard drives. It couldn't figure out which was the source and which was the target. Symantec couldn't help, at the time. Probably fixed in later versions. I will look more thoroughly at my old drive and see what I really want to save. May back it up to CD's, anyhow, to be on the safe side while I experiment. Thanks guys, Bazza.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds