System 32 Folder Opens on Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by shihlhasa, Jun 7, 2003.

1. shihlhasa

shihlhasa Private E-2

Hi, I have a new Dell Dimension 8300, P4 at 3.0 GHz, 800 FSB, 60 G HD and 512 DDR and am running XP Home (whew, what a mouthful!). Everything seems fine, except whenever I turn on the PC or restart, once everything on my desktop has finished loading, the System 32 Folder opens itself.

I went to Dell Online Forum and someone gave me a link to a Microsoft document where it talks about this problem and why and what to look for in regedit to correct it (usually a null value or a single " mark). I couldn't find anything resembling what they said to look for in regedit.

I then contacted Dell Tech Support and they had me uncheck everything in Startup through msconfig, which fixed the Sys 32 Folder problem, but then my NAV Autoprotect couldn't be enabled, so the tech decided we should do a reinstall of XP Home. He stayed on the phone with me for most of it, but with 20 minutes left to go, we decided I could do the last bit on my own.

Guess What??!!

IT'S STILL HAPPENING!!!!

I've downloaded RegEditScrub, but am too chicken to use it.

Hope someone can help!

TIA as always,
    Janet

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Obviously it can be controlled by msconfig. Maybe if you were to copy everything listed under the Startup tab, someone can help you figure it out.

3. shihlhasa

shihlhasa Private E-2

That doesn't seem to be a simple copy and paste job (I just tried). Any suggestions as to how I would go about doing that - save for writing it out in long hand - and then retyping it here - which is just asking for trouble in terms of typos, etc?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything - I'm veeeerrrrryyyy new at this - so if I'm missing something - my apologies....you just have to speak verrrrryyyyy slowly ;)

Janet

4. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

Fine, I'm going to stop being lazzy and post something helpfull.
    For starters, this topic should be in the "Software":D

CLICK ME!!!
    Nice little tool called "Gadwin Print Screen"

Download - Install - Use ".JPG" format - Take a screen shot of the list and attach it onto your post.

Screen shot must be under 100kbs.

5. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Or you could simply push the PrtScrn key. Then open Paint. Then click edit-Paste. Then you can do some selecting, cutting, and pasting. Save as a JPG. Then attach the file to reply. Like so.

Attached Files:

6. shihlhasa

shihlhasa Private E-2

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I got up the nerve to run RegScrub last night and it has fixed the problem with the System 32 Folder opening on startup - and probably a few others that hadn't yet presented themselves ;).

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm pretty darn good when it comes to finding my way around my word processing programs, but that's about the extent of it! I was really frustrated yesterday and that it even more difficult to try and sort things out.

Doc - I'll remember that print screen trick for another time.

Thanks again,
    Janet

P.S. Just in case anyone is interested, this is the link to the Microsoft tech document I referred to in my initial post:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170086

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds