System Becoming Increasingly Sluggish After Installing Windows 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by DON GAYNOR, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

I've been tweaking my computer since upgrading from Windows 7/64 to Windows 10 last week.

Although I'm seeing the fastest boot times that I've ever seen (47 seconds), my system is becoming very obviously sluggish when doing routine tasks such as emails and word processing.

My HD is at about 20% full and I have 8GB of RAM. What should I do to reduce CPU load and how can I determine where the bottleneck is?

TIA

Don

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Windows 10 does introduce a lot of features that often start at boot up, that you might not want.
    My own preference is to use the program O&O Shut Up 10 and I follow its second level of recommendations but you can see all that in the program yourself.
    I also configure Services according to the 'Safe' configurations in Black Viper - known for years as reliable source on Windows Services.
    Since I also don't want or use many of the pre installed Windows Apps, I use IoBit Uninstaller in its left-hand menu section called 'Windows Apps' to fully and cleanly remove the ones I don't want.

All of the above should reduce RAM and CPU use but if you still have a problem, we would need to look at remaining start ups that may be causing lagging.

3. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Max,

Previous commitments prevent me from applying your excellent advice today but I certainly will tomorrow.

Thanks for your knowledge and expertise.

Don

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You're welcome Don and I hope it goes well.

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Could you please explain what you mean by "second level of recommendations". There is nothing in the programme that is listed as secondary recommnedations.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Eldon likes this.
  7. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Max,

I ran O&O and had immediate improvements but not complete. Startup is still excellent (45 seconds) but response to button clicks still lags quite obviously. I can live with the delay but I sense that it should be faster, nearly transparent.

I just used the default settings in O&O and it neutered many processes in startup which I don't/won't miss.

Thanks for your generous help.

Don

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You're welcome Don.

Another area to look at is processes that start at boot, ie when system is turned on. There may still ne many not needed.
    Here are two ways to investigate them:

1. In CCleaner Slim > Tools > Start Up > you will see a list. You can use the far right bottom link to 'save to text file' and you can post it here for advice about what is needed and what is not.

2. Microsoft Autoruns 13.62 this will give a much more detailed list of start up processes. It is a zip file, doesn't need to be 'installed' - just save it to a folder, double click it to unzip it, open newly created folder and just right-click autoruns.exe and choose 'run as administrator'.

If making changes in point 1 above doesn't work, then investigating autoruns should do the trick.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds