System board error 174

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slk1954, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Slk1954

Slk1954 Private E-2

I have a IBM Thinkpad model 600 that upon startup indicates a 174 error and goes to a test screen. It does not recognize the hard drive. I can test the system board, memory, and video display. The test of the system board indicates a 91 error, the memory test just locks up. Is this a hardware failure that effectively kills the machine or is there some way around this 174 error. The sites that I have looked at indicate a problem with the "atomic settings", what's that? When running, this machine was using XP Professional, the last thing that it did was a ck disc with automatic repair enabled. Thanks for any help or info, even if the machine is dead, I need to know.

2. Slk1954

Slk1954 Private E-2

Does the lack of responses indicate that nobody knows about this error or nobody cares?

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

I'd say the latter, anyways If it hangs on the memory then your probably looking at a memory problem (obviously) So I would remove one stick if you have 2 of them in there and see if that works. Alternativly you can always reinstall everything and hope for the best.

4. Slk1954

Slk1954 Private E-2

Already tried removing the memory, I think it overheated and fried something, but I don't have any experience with laptop problems. Thanks for the reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds