System Connect/Disconnect Sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by Speedyzee, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Speedyzee

Speedyzee Private E-2

Ok, hopefully I'm posting in the right area; been a while since I've been in here needing help; recently my XP'd AMD dual core 4600/3 GB ram Nvidia machine started playing the system sound you would normally hear during a USB connect/disconnect, constantly, every 3-5 seconds. I checked the other threads and found faulty USB devices were causing grief; I disconnected all of mine and the sound is still there. I run (and have been running & updating) CCcleaner, Spybot, AVG, everything seems clean. If open the task manager & watch CPU usage, it bounces up & down every time I hear the sound and explorer.exe seems to be the one on the process tab that changes. If I kill explorer, the sound stops (and of course my desktop icons disappear) Once I restart explorer the sound will resume. Is there a program I can download or a log I can find in my computer to find out what exactly is happening? (I'm assuming a program is trying to start or restart?) I could just disable the sounds to eliminate the problem as the computer doesn't freeze or hang when it happens, but would rather fix it properly in case this is the beginning of something not-so-good. Thanks for any advice.

2. blackcivic

blackcivic Private E-2

check event viewer in the applications and system area for any suspicious events that have occured

3. Speedyzee

Speedyzee Private E-2

Ok, call me less than genius; but what exactly would you call suspicious? I can't find any activity happening at the same time I'm hearing the sounds. In the applications I do see several idsvc startups and stops, although not at the same time as I'm hearing the sounds. I do have a crazy-high number of errors for nview_info (?), but again, these aren't happening at the times I'm hearing the sounds. Anything in particular I should be looking for?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm thinking it may be a malfunctioning USB port, or malfunctioning USB drivers. Download and install your chipset drivers; you can get the latest release from your motherboard maker's web site. If that doesn't help, power down, unplug the power cord from the PC, grab a flashlight, and actually look inside each and every USB port. If there's something stuck in there, or bent pins, or a broken tab-thingy, it might explain the problem. You can also try going to the Device Manager and disabling all the USB ports (maybe in Safe Mode? or maybe your BIOS has an option to disable all USB activity?) and see if the 'ba-donk' noise continues. The noise might be coming from something else, not necessarily the USB ports.

5. blackcivic

blackcivic Private E-2

the nview_info relates to a nview desktop manager for your graphics card. Try and update the driver for graphics card if it's available. Who knows maybe the entries about nview_info relate to your beeping sounds with usb

dlb is right, it possibly maybe coming from somthing else like the graphics card

6. Speedyzee

Speedyzee Private E-2

Ok, sorry for the delay, got late last night & called it quits. Tonight I updated both drivers for graphics cards; I have a nvidia GeForce 7950 Gt running one desktop & a samsung plasma in another room, and an nvidia Fx5200 running the second desktop, using Ultramon software to manage monitors. This setup has been working perfectly for 6 months up until this problem. After updating the vid drivers, the noise is still there, I revisited the malware forum & downloaded/ran a few programs that weren't there the last time I was in there; (malwarebytes & super anti spyware - as I said, been a while since I've been in that forum) found a few issues, removed them and no better. The only thing I have found, while I was in the Nvidia software setting up the graphics cards after updating the drivers is I hear the sound, the cursor pointer briefly changes to the hourglass, and the header on the window goes light blue (as if I've clicked on another window on the desktop) and some of the values on the nvidia software flicker and change, once the sound plays again, all goes back to normal; for about 10 seconds, when the noise (and other things) repeat. The monitors are working properly, anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds