system crash/ can't boot/ file recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by wanless2000, Mar 15, 2008.

1. wanless2000

wanless2000 Private E-2

recently my computer would reboot in the middle of playing a game or will importing a cd to itunes. the last time this happened my computer wouldn't reboot and hasn't since. it won't boot in safe mode either. any ideas with what problem could be or how to recover my files incase i have to reinstall windows would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

2. PennyD

PennyD Private E-2

there is 3 suggestions for this problem 1 if you have the original windowsxp disk put that in and it should go straight to pc setup 2if u made a back up it will run the disk and rebot 3u can also do a system recovery but it will take everything out so do at your own risk. good luck!!!!!

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

wanless2000, are you saying that the computer will not boot up at all?
    The rebooting was indicating a problem which was probably not apparent beause the settings were "reboot on error" instead of "post the error do not reboot".

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

We can probably help you 'rebuild' your Windows. Press F8 to get the boot options menu. Select "Disable automatic restart..." and let the PC boot up. When the PC crashes it should stop on a blue error screen. Write down the error number (it will look like 0x0000007F) and any message (something like UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME) and any files listed (ntfs.sys is a common one). Post this info and we'll go from there.

5. MALEEK20

MALEEK20 Private E-2

i have this problem

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

To Maleek: start your own thread please, and include some more information. When you hijack someone elses thread, you not only hurt yourself by not getting the exposure your problems might need, and you hurt the original thread starter by confusing the issue. So, start you own thread and we'll try to help.
    Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds