system files not responding after restore in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by lmhjcr, Aug 20, 2009.

1. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Hello,
    I have been having troubles with getting the bluetooth to work properly in my pc so before trying anything else and in order to get the pc back to where it was before installing the update as per the gateway website I went to system restore and restored the pc to prior to installing the update.
    Since I did that this morning I am having problems with all the system files on the pc.

If I go to start>programs>accessories>system tools and select either system restore or disk cleanup nothing happens (all I get is the little circle just keeps going and going). I have also tried
    Click on the Control Panel menu option.
    Click on the System and Maintenance menu option.
    Click on the System menu option.
    Click on System Protection in the left-hand task list.
    but the the same thing happens.

If I go to task manager it states running in status but if I click to end the task it states the program is not responding and if I click to end now I get a box "Windows Explorer is not responding - windows is checking for a solution to the problem...." but it goes no further.
    If I click cancel it states windows explorer is restarting.... but nothing else happens either so if I hit cancel again then system is still running but the system protection does not open.

After I did the system restore it stated that it was successful.

I also noticed that it is now taking longer to connect to the internet and when I do the browser initially opens and states there was a problem connecting (forget the exact wording) but if I hit the refresh button I get the internet.

I haven't tried any of the other administrative tools other than even viewer and that had the same results as disk cleanup, system protection / system restore so I'm sure they are working either.

Any ideas as to why I am having these problems and how to fix it.

2. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Just to add.... I have also gone to start> and typed in rstrui in the search box in order to access the system restore and I get the little circle thing (sort of like the hourglass in XP) and then that goes away and nothing else happens..... EXCEPT that if I then go to start I cannot access anything from the start menu. I have to hit ctrl + alt + del and select to switch user and then select user (which is the only user on the pc and it states already logged on) in order for the start menu to work again.

An the box that appears when I first open up either the firefox or IE browser now is "connection was reset" but if I hit the refresh icon I get the internet.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit) and I get all the updates as they are available and the pc is a gateway m1629.

Thanks

3. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I also thought that I would mention that I have also tried rebooting the pc and pressing the f8 key and selecting the option Last Known Good Configuration but that did not fix the problems either. Then I tried going to start>msconfig and nothing so when I tried to restart the pc had to again after I was getting no response and the start menu stopped working again I went to crtl + alt + del and select to restart the pc and I get an error message stating a file system error (-1073741510) before the restart.

If I tried to access the system restore from safe mode I get nothing either - it will not open.

Although from safe mode I can get disk cleanup to work.

4. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Never mind. I am not sure why but the system restore did finally open up when in safe mode. I just had to wait more than 5 minutes for it to actually open so that I could return the pc to the way it was before I did the system restore. Now the pc is back to working as it should and I guess that I will just leave the bluetooth update on the pc since trying to return the pc to before the install caused this whole problem to begin with.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds