System halts after shutdown, need to restart in Safe Mode and clean Files00*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aikox2, Aug 11, 2005.

1. aikox2

aikox2 Private E-2

Sorry, I don't know if this is a s/w or a h/w question:

It seems every time my wife's pc is shutdown (certainly every bad shutdown -power outage, etc.), it will not boot back up; it either goes into a cycle of constant restarts or halts at a blue screen. I then need to boot in Safe Mode, delete all the bad files (File001, 002...) and restart. Then it boots up fine till the next shutdown.

I have never had problems like this on my other pcs even when they have had bad shutdowns.

Could bad/damaged memory be causing this?

What would?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. aikox2

aikox2 Private E-2

Sorry I forgot these details:

Win2K, very clean pc (no adware, spyware, malware, viruses, trojans, etc.)

It's just for her e-mail and web research. We run Avast AV and Sygate FW.

Thanks for any help. I don't know why this one pc is so flaky, and all my others are just fine. That's why I thought it might be something like RAM, except that the pc runs fine once it's booted up.

I'm clutching at straws here.

Scott

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

How many bad shutdowns has this pc had?lol,it usually only takes one to mess up alot of peoples computers,alot of the problems usually stem from corrupt windows files that have been messed up with a hard shutdown,this of course can be cured by reinstalling windows,if you bought the computer prebuilt,using the manufacturers disk to restore the computer to factory default will restore its original working order,you will have to backup any important files first.

I'v never used win 2000,but unless you have kept the the service packs up to date you will have left your computer open to attack form malware,viruses ect,so Id check its up to date,you will also find common hardware fault fixes in the service packs that may help you with your problems,I would highly advise you read the stickies in the spyware forum on how best to protect yourself

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds