system hangs after resume from standby

Discussion in 'Software' started by turkeygiblets10, Apr 24, 2006.

1. turkeygiblets10

turkeygiblets10 Private E-2

hi can anyone help me i have winxp pro sp2, and when i resume from standby my system justs shut down and then i have to unplug my pc and wait 10 secs to plug it back in for the pc to start again.
    my power settings are screensaver after 5 mins with password, monitor off in 45 mins and system standby after 1 hour.
    its when it goes past the hour if i try to resume it the screen is blank and there is something loading on my pc but the it justs shut down.
    can anyone help, i've tried searching everywhere but i cant find out how to fix this
    any help would be great and thanks very much in advance if you can
    cheers
    phil

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

When you say it just "shuts down" what happens, just stops responding?

What kind of mouse do you have? Go to the mouse properties and see if there is a (allow mouse to resume from standby) option or something similar.

Steve

3. turkeygiblets10

turkeygiblets10 Private E-2

it shuts down completely, i just opened up my bios and in the power management under acpi i think it said it was enabled but in the power management bit it said that suspend and doze and some other were disabled.
    i set the suspend here to 1 hour. should i set the suspend in winxp off or can i leave it the way it is at one hour, will the bios override the xp one or can i disable one of them?
    thanks for reply

4. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I read in the forums last year that resuming from standby is really intended to function properly when using laptop type pcs, not for desktops. There was some technical explanation to support that contention. I use a Dell desktop and stopped using standby once I began to encounter this problem. Someone else may be able to provide more background on this.

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds