System Issues with IE6 on Win2K

Discussion in 'Software' started by basementman, Aug 31, 2007.

1. basementman

basementman Private E-2

Hey All,
    I am helping a friend and I am running into an odd problem. So, here goes.. The system is a custom Win2K Dell for an Insurance agent. It runs goldmine and other LOB software. All of a sudden the user cannot open email attachments we get the following MS error:

Source Microsoft Internet; Category: None Event ID 1000..The description for Event ID (1000) in Source (Microsoft Internet Explorer) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessarey registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event iexplorer.exe 6.0.2800.1106, unknown, 0.0.0.0,018f51a0.

What has been done: Updated all MS patches, and also symantec. Ran spybot, ad-aware se, ran scandisk, and defragmented the disk. All scans ran clean and no errors other the the above listed. Still cant open an attachment.

I also ran a sfc /scannow and I had an issue with that. It wanted the CD, well the CD is an image and will not work. The I386 directory is on C:\ so I made the edit to registry setup and tried c:\ and c:\i386 and it still asks for the CD. Not sure why it isnt reading the disk. I do not want to use a retail CD due to the custom or taylored nature of the OS.

Thanks in advance for any help with this I am stuck. If I left out anything just ask. TY
    <mod>No inline hjt logs please. Post them to a text file and attach it.</mod>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In OE, click on Tools then options and then on the security tab uncheck/untick "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". If that is already unchecked, then the next place to look would be settings in his antivirus program.

As a temporary work around until you can figure out what is blocking it, forward the email to another email account; he may have success opening the attachments that way.

3. basementman

basementman Private E-2

plodr,
    Thanks for your reply. This is not an Outlook Express/Outlook issue. This is working in Internet Explorer and the user can download an attached file. The error occurs when you open the attachment in the webbased email program in this case Yahoo mail and also the users insurance web based mail. I will double check the IE security settings. Thanks again. Its a holiday here so we may not be able to check until Tuesday the 4th.
    Regards,
    basementman

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. basementman

basementman Private E-2

plodr, The user is familar with both web based email software however, I will check on how the user opens email and the version of Yahoo mail. Thanks for the link.
    Regards,
    basementman

6. basementman

basementman Private E-2

OK so here is the solution: reinstall the yahoo toolbar. Thats it. Fixed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds