System Mechanic Pro 11 software

Discussion in 'Software' started by m79vest36, Sep 28, 2012.

1. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

My McAfee anti-virus is due to expire and Dell claims they use System Mechanic. They also say there could be a problem removing McAfee without their uninstall tool. Is this correct? I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. What are your best suggestions here.....Thankyou

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

It seems most antivirus programs these days can't be properly removed without using the vendor's uninstall program. You should be able to download it from McAfee's website. As for System Mechanic, I'd steer well clear. That program has been "iffy" for years. No way I'd ever install it.

3. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Thankyou for your answer! What anti-virus would you feel confident to install & use that provides a complete array of registry check....spyware & malware check? Or should I install separate software to handle these?

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, m79vest36...

Probably your best first step would be to check out chaslang's How To Protect Yourself From Malware article - it's very informative and includes links to all of the leading protection programs.

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Microsoft have developed a very good anti virus protection "Microsoft security essentials".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

I have been using and recommending this for some time now and the wonderful thing is it is FREE.

To remove McAfee is simple as most of it can be removed by the "add or remove" application built into your PC but if that fails try this.

http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

1. download the utility MCPR.exe
    2. double-click the file MCPR.exe to run it
    3. once the process of deleting McAfee products is over (the removal process may take a minute), the McAfee Cleanup window appears.
    4. click Yes to reboot your computer and to finish the removal process of McAfee products.

This will remove all remnants of McAfee.

6. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

I have used Avast and Avira in the past, but continued adding of "features" made them bloated. I currently use Microsoft Security Essentials and am very happy with it. For spyware/malware, I use Malwarebytes.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

That's sounds like a good plan.

8. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Thanks much for your answer. Also...is it really necessary to have a separate and good Registry Cleaner or is CCleaner just as efficient as any of them out there.

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Good morning...

I'm sure others will chime in, but IMO since you're running Win 7 you don't need a discrete 'registry cleaner'. The latest Windows versions do a superb job of housecleaning for the most part, and 7 is no exception. And, yes - CCleaner's registry routine is as good as any other 3rd-party software.

I'd be willing to bet that so-called 'registry cleaners' create far more problems than they fix...IMO.

:major

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have to agree with Caliban.

11. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Thanks so much....I always though that the 3rd party stuff couldbring on other problems in the O/S. Thanks again.....

12. evti

evti Private E-2

I always tend to avoid all of the extra crap the OEM installs on the computer. Chances are they have some form of vested interest in it, and will push it no matter how useful or useless it might be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds