System Restore corrupted?

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, Sep 25, 2013.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

I have only 2 restore points as shown in CCleaner but the size is as per attached pic. while the allocated space is 10%. Something doesn't compute. Note Current Usage is 1.03 GB while Max Usage 10% is 1.32 GB.

Meanwhile something is eating away at my free space, at least 10 GB in the last couple of days.

How do I fix this?

Did a sfc /scannow and it told me that Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS log. When I tried to get into that log, it told me that access was denied.

Also I ran chkdsk /f /r and that didn't give any results.

What is next? Please help!
    PS: I'm going to sleep now, it 2:30 AM here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

To access the CBS log, just right click on CBS.log, select copy and then paste it to somewhere convenient like your documents folder. Zip and attach if you'd like someone to have a look.
    The pic posted shows the system protection settings for the Recovery partition. How many other partitions are on the hard drive, their size and how much is allocated and in use for System Protection?
    :)

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Got no clue how to zip a file, never done that. Downloaded 7-Zip. Now I'm stuck, no idea how to create a zip file.

Just the C Drive, no other partitions, 500 GB HD, 379GB free of 452 GB.

I don't know how much is allocated and in use for System Protection other than current usage 1.01 GB and Max Usage 10% (1.32GB).

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

See if the zip worked. Here it is:
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• CBS.zip
      File size:
      10.1 KB
      Views:
  5. oma

oma MajorGeek

I called Dell Pro Support because I am covered for 3 years. They fixed it. It had to do with Restore Points and Recovery. Free space is for now back to what it was prior. I will be on the lookout in Restore Points, that is to say if Windows puts the automatic restore points where it belongs.

Thanks nullptr. At least now I've learned how to create a zip file. :-D (poking fun at myself for such stupidity)

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Not all was fixed. I ran sfc /scannow again just now and here is the attachment zip. Can someone help me what is wrong and what needs to be done next? Just ignore the 1st CBS.zip in post 4. Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

The Volume Shadow Copy was on manual so I changed it to automatic. I was surprised it was on manual. Rebooted, ran sfc /scannow and same result, same message. So that isn't it. Any other ideas? Thanks.

8. _nullptr

There's only one file reported as corrupt - napipsec.dll and it seems that SFC can't find a copy on your drive that matches the expected file hash.
    Could you possibly copy/paste C:\Windows\System32\napipsec.dll to your documents folder and then upload that copy to VirusTotal.
    Post the link to the scan result, so that I can see what the reported hashes are for that file.

9. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Just for fun, download and burn this to CD.

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/viruses/rescuedisk#downloads

It's a bootable disc, and runs it's own operating system. Follow the onscreen instructions, and select graphic mode. Update the database, and do an object scan first. After that is done, check the box next to C: and scan again to check the whole hard drive. I have been seeing so many bootkits lately it's just getting ridiculous.

10. oma

oma MajorGeek

Is this what you wanted? https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...3a269dcbbf53acce5b3b69e7/analysis/1380163691/

PS the date on that dll is 13/07/2009

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  11. oma

oma MajorGeek

Sorry mekanic, this goes way over my head. :( :-o

12. _nullptr

Yes.
    That file definitely doesn't match the expected hash. Give Dell Pro Support a call and see if they can assist in replacing:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\napipsec.dll
    C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-n..ecenforcementclient_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_f5a60a816853ae96\napipsec.dll
    :)

13. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hi, I was on the phone with Dell PRO Support for a very long time. He said that the replacement is not for Windows Restore so he didn't replace it. He also told me that he would send me a USB key with Windows on it and that key would work the same as a windows disk but easier and it would repair. He told me that I can call them for help when that USB arrives and ready to use it. Thanks!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds