System Restore Hangs

Discussion in 'Software' started by jayboy67, Aug 14, 2005.

1. jayboy67

jayboy67 Private E-2

I don't know how long this has existed but more than a month. Have had XP SP2 installed for sometime but had similar problem before that happened. It has been an off and on problem that had cleared for awhile by turning off SR monitoring on all drives. Hadn't been real concerned about it because I am overdue and complete cleanup and reinstalling XP-Pro. But I would like to solve the current problem before doing that. Also recently MS downloads have started trying to do a SR before installation so the installs have been failing. Don't know if there is a way to stop MS updates from doing that but that is another story.

Here is what is happening now.

1. All recent MS update downloads have failed to install when doing a SR.
    2. I tried to do a restore and there were no restore points available for any date.
    3. I went to System/Restore tab and the disable button was grayed out and said that was because it was set in Group Policy.
    4. Ran gpedit.msc and found in the admistrator's templet/system a line for System Restore.
    5. Both options were unconfigured.
    6. Changed the options, rebooted and at one point I couldn't even call up System. Actually it was taking minutes before it came up.
    7. After trying the 2 options in various disable/enable/not configured I finally went back to not configured for both.
    8. I was then able to get System to open immediately and had access to the System Restore tab and could set SR to not monitor all drives.
    9. Rebboted and went to System/System Restore tab and re-enabled SR to monitor all drives.
    10. A lot of drive activity, guess it was reading and or writing something telling the drives they were being monitored.
    11. Then got an error message saying that SR had a problem with one drive and I needed to restart the computer. Didn't tell me which drive however. I had done a chdsk a week ago but guess I need to do another one. Not having any disc problems that I know of.
    12. I rebooted and went to SR and tried to create a point. I hung just like before and Task Manger tells me that SR is not responding.
    13. Just tried System again but it takes a long time for the window to open and the SR tab is not there therefore it has been disabled again. I checked the group policy editor and system restore options are still not configured.

I found one post on the MS newsgroup that sounded similar to my problem and he found that something was happening on boot that caused the IIS to fail to load. He removed it and was working ok but he didn't tell how or what he removed. I don't think I have IIS (Internet Information Services) unless it was automatically installed with XP-Pro.

Just looked in Control Panel and Add/Remove windows components and there is a 13.5 mb file called IIS so guess it was automatic. Hope this was my problem because I am going to try it and reboot. I don't have any idea what IIS is used for however. I may be forced into an earlier clean install than I wanted. When rebooting I will be doing a chdsk on the boot drive.

I did have a hickup when calling up Control Panel/Properties. I hung there for 2-3 minutes and kept me from accessing the task bar. Not sure what that was all about.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm probably not going to answer fully, everything you posted. But, i'll try.

1. IIS is NOT installed on default.
    2. What happens when you turn on System Restore and attempt windows update. Give ALL error codes please!
    3. Is this computer part of a domain/active directory (AD).
    4. Most policies are located within HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    5. If the SR is gone, then the above may help you.
    7. I can't count. But, you may want to check: START, RUN, type in: Servies.msc (press enter).

Make sure that System Restore Services is set to auto.

3. jayboy67

jayboy67 Private E-2

Hi again theefool,

I tried to remove IIS and the uninstall took 15 minutes and I gave up and cancelled it. Task Mgr did say it was running however but figured after that long and no motion on the progress bar it must not be.

As I said my boot drive was scanned on restart. If there were any errors they were fixed pre windows opening and I haven't gone to Norton Utilities to see if there is a log there.

I then opened System and the tab for SR was back and all drives showed as being monitored.

I then opened SR and checked to see if there were any restore points and there wern't.

Next I created a restore point and be darn if it didn't work in just a few seconds with date and time properly noted. I just opened Norton Utilities to see if there was a log on the repairs if any. Nothing except the date 8/14/2005 when they were last checked. I did get a message before the tip pop-up that said that Norton was unable to test the physical disk size on disk 3, I have 4 partitions on my first boot drive and a second drive. But I have a third virtual drive, I guess that is what you call it, on my printer for insertion of the camera memory chips. That may be the one they call 3 so this may not be pertenant. I did not get this message before however.

This is my home computer so no network and also have windows update on auto but notify me before download and install. I do that because I am on a slow dialup and my phone lines must be getting noisy again because I have been connecting at 28.8 vs my normal 49.2 and I don't ever know when I will be slow. Hope to have that little problem resolved next Tuesday when the cable company shows up to connect me to their NEW broadband system. We are in a rural area so these things come slow to us. Thought about a satellite connection awhile back but didn't think it was worth $600 plus about $60 per month. I'll get a 1 mb speed for only $35/mo. and get rid of earthlink and an extra phone so I'll actually save some.

Just did another create restore point and it worked again. Seems to be fixed now. I did look at the Control Panel again to see if IIS was there, it was but the check mark was grayed out this time, still show 13.5 mb. Said something like some of the components may not be installed. ??

Thanks for responding theefool and the information.

I didn't enter the registry this time. If IIS is not default where did it come from? I guess I may have selected to install it some time because it sounded like a neat thing to have and it was not explained why I should or should not.

Think it is time for me to lay my tired body down for some rest.

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

If you didn't install IIS, then uninstall the service.

Start -> Run

services.msc

OK

navigate find IIS in the services panel.

Right-click on it

Select Properties

STOP

Change to Disabled

Close out Services

CTRL-ALT-DEL

Processes Tab

Find IIS and End Task

Close Task Manger

Start -> Run -> Control Panel

Add or Remove Programs

Find IIS

Uninstall

5. jayboy67

jayboy67 Private E-2

OK, IIS was close to the problem but it turns out that it was the WWP file that is dependent on IIS. SMTP is also dependent on the IIS Admin running. Disabled all 3 and tried to remove the Windows Component but did not uninstall for some reason. Looked again at the Services and noted that IIS Admin and SMTP reported as started but WWP said starting. Since I am on dial up and need SMTP running to send email I had to re-enable it and the IIS Admin services. Left WWP disabled and now System Restore works like a champ and don't get those errors on shutdown. And my email is working again.

I still would like to remove and reinstall IIS Admin so if anyone out there has any ideas why I couldn't it would be appreciated. When I called up the Add/Remove Windows Components from the Add/Remove Programs dialog it gave me a lot of disk activity but still appeared to be there afterwards. The box is now grayed, not grayed out, and I think it said that part of that component wouldn't be added or removed. When I clicked on the details on that box it listed several things that I guess were dependent on IIS Admin which included the WWP service. I checked all of the boxes to remove them but they are still here.

Thanks for all the help. Mission Accomplished!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds