system restore not showing on laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jan Scrivens, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jan Scrivens

Jan Scrivens Private First Class

Hello, I have a Lenovo Flip 14 laptop running W8.1. It is relatively new and I am still setting it up.
    Yesterday I installed an update to a programme (Incredimail) and as I did not like the updated version I tried to do a system restore but it would not restore.
    I have tried various restore points and eventually looked to make sure it was enabled. I cannot find it in computer management under services.
    Is it possible it could be deleted from the registry in error by me?
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks, Jan

2. Jan Scrivens

Hello, I have just gone to use my notebook which runs W7 and decided to check services there to see what to look for, and system restore is not on that machine either?
    The mystery deepens?
    Jan

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

to find windows restore you need to go to control panel on desktop and then click on recovery and you should see it in there.

4. Jan Scrivens

Hello and thanks to JoeRay12 and sexyandy81.
    Yes, you are both right in as much as it shows up there, but when I run it each time it does not run.
    A Microsoft Tech told me to check it was enabled in computer management under services, but it was not there. For the tech to give me more advice I had to pay for a service agreement.
    I am assuming that if it doesn't show up in services, it is not actually running?
    I am totally stuck on this so appreciate any help I can get.
    Jan

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

System Restore service is not called that in Services list its called Volume Shadow Copy, generally set to Manual but try starting it, make sure the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is running and set to Automatic (this one is needed) and then check your System Restore points.

Also what Anti-virus software you using? try disabling it and test, as some AVs may interfere with Restore depending on the components they install.
    Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking and try System Restore again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds