System Restore points: Day one missing. Normal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hum, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Hum

Hum Private E-2

Hi. My computer has possible malware and I'm figuring out the steps of "Read and Run First" one by one. I am curious about the System Restore points that I see. I had Windows reinstalled onto my computer, and brought it home, started using it on the 10th of October 2008. In System Restore, the restore points started 11th October.
    Nope, cancel that, I've just checked that and currently there are NO restore points. Not a one. Now I'm concerned. Not having actually run the Read and Run steps, yet, I have not turned off System Restore at any time.

I was going to ask if a days delay in restore points was normal, but that now seems pointless. Got another question now...Q. Is it normal for System Restore points to just disappear like that?
    Does my computer have a problem?

Thank-you.

Thinkpad T4,
    Windows XP pro, SP3,
    Windows Firewall, Sophos anti-rootkit, Sophos Anti-virus (disabled), a2, Panda anti-rootkit

2. frapper

frapper Private First Class

You might want to check your System Restore settings. There may not be enough space allotted for SysRestore.

Open System Restore and then click on System Restore Settings on the left side.

If you have more than one drive or partition you can set it to monitor or not monitor that drive, depending on your space. Highlight the drive you want to monitor and click "Settings". There you can use a slider to allocate more space for restore points. Try it larger (towards MAX). If it saves too many restore points or uses too much space, then back it down a little. It will automatically delete the oldest points when it runs out of room. Good luck.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, I find system restore points often disappear precisely when you need them. I've never figured out how they are cleared out like that. But it does happen.

I have at least 40 R/points right now. Will they be there if I need them one day--really just a toss of the coin. :(

4. Hum

Hum Private E-2

I rechecked System Restore Settings; the slider is set to "Max". I only have the one partition, the drive is 3/4 empty. There were fewer than ten restore points. Yesterday the restore points started at Oct 11, when the computer had been used after reinstalling Windows, on the 10th.
    Q. Should there have been a restore point made when I used it on the 10th?
    Q. And could a rootkit or malware have made the restore points go? As I said, System Restore is on, set to max, and there were very few restore points.

Thank-you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds