system restore question - xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by sosaman, Mar 25, 2005.

1. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

sup all? ok, my home computer was fine last night! this morning i booted it up, put in my password, i had looked away and it restarted! :( i then put in my password again when it restarted, and noticed it rebooted a little after i saw the desktop picture. i wound up doing a system restore, however the only restore points were from sunday (3/20/05)!! :mad: i have all of my saved data and stuff, but i have the luxury of installing alot of software again, as i am in the middle of setting it up again (h/d problems last week)!! :eek:

anyway, how do you manually set restore points in xp? - sos

2. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

In start menu, "all programs", "accessories", "system tools", you find the "System Restore". There you can create a system restore point, good thing to do right before you want to mess with somthing and you don't know the outcome of it... You can also set how much space you will dedicate to the system restore points, to allow for fewer or more restore points.

Good luck! :)

Another handy tool is the Acronis True Image, it allows you to make a backup of the entire C drive and store it on a safe partition so that it can't be compromised. It requires some hdd space though, but I find it very useful, and I make a backup right after I've reinstalled OS etc on a computer, so that I can always get a fresh C drive, no matter how much I mess with it... ;)

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

thx, for the system restore info!! :) i have some backup software from my iomega external h/d (80 gbyte), and i also got a free norton ghost (2003) from iomega (for buying the h/d). i'm just waiting till i get it setup right. this is why i had partitioned my h/d (which isn't mentioned here)!! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds