system restore stuck at "next" button

Discussion in 'Software' started by simonsky96, May 17, 2011.

1. simonsky96

simonsky96 Private E-2

after selecting the restore point, the "next" button to finally initiate system restore does not work. it just stays there.

and i am not using system restore bec. of a virus. i just did something stupid with an application to make it not work.

i am running xp sp2. and can create restore points without problems. i just cannot restore to them. thanks!

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Try it in safe mode, and make sure you have admin privileges on the account you're using.

3. simonsky96

simonsky96 Private E-2

tried it in safe mode and how do you know if i have administrative privileges? it is my laptop after all.

4. dave.m

dave.m Private First Class

Do you have Norton Internet Security installed? If so, disable it and try the system restore again.

dave

5. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

If it's always been your laptop, and you never did anything to your accounts, you probably have admin privileges. To check, go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts. Over on the right you will see your account, which will probably say that it is an admin account (in which case it will show other accounts as well), or that it is a limited account.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Are you sure that all remnants of the virus have been removed? Just to be sure I'd read and do exactly as recommended as per this link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    XP SP2 is not secure. You need to update to SP3!!

7. simonsky96

simonsky96 Private E-2

yes i have admin privileges
    no i don't have norton
    and how do you update to sp3 without removing all installed files and without automatic update bec. mine does not work

8. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

You can go to Start>All Programs>Windows Update, and update manually.
    It sounds like you wouldn't have any Windows updates, which could be part of your problem.
    However, if you update to SP3, you may lose any restore points you have. I'm not sure about that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds